Worrying M/board temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, looks like a (80mm?) fan holder.

Now there's two options for you. Easy one would be to just throw in a fan that fits the holder nicely. Fast and easy, but not very effective. To me it seems that the airflow is quite restricted in your case.

Then we got the hard way. Cut off a round 120mm piece of metal (and plastic) off the front of the case. Over the hole install a 120mm fan (and a filter/fan grill). Adjust the rpm to somewhere around 800-1000 rpm. Now you have good air draft and a virtually silent fan.

LoTeX said:
Yeah, looks like a (80mm?) fan holder.

Now there's two options for you. Easy one would be to just throw in a fan that fits the holder nicely. Fast and easy, but not very effective. To me it seems that the airflow is quite restricted in your case.

Then we got the hard way. Cut off a round 120mm piece of metal (and plastic) off the front of the case. Over the hole install a 120mm fan (and a filter/fan grill). Adjust the rpm to somewhere around 800-1000 rpm. Now you have good air draft and a virtually silent fan.

Yeah, I'm gonna measure it but it does look like an 80mm holder. Cutting the hole etc like you describe sounds a bit daunting for a cooling noob like me, so I think I'm gonna try putting in a fan that fits in the holder, tidying the wires up some more and see how my temps are after that.

I experienced something similar to what you're going through. In one day I replaces my psu, and the IDE/Floppy ribbon cables with round ones, and my mb temp went from 36*C to 55*C. I assumed it was the psu so I switched back to the old one, same thing. I found out it was the round floppy cable that was causing the temp to go up. I thought it was a faulty cable so I went to a different store and bought a different brand, same thing. I put floppy ribbon cable back on and temps went back down. Also, the psu I bought is much quieter than the one I had, but it also moves a ton more air, so don't think that quieter always means it moves less air.

cedjunior said:
I experienced something similar to what you're going through. In one day I replaces my psu, and the IDE/Floppy ribbon cables with round ones, and my mb temp went from 36*C to 55*C. I assumed it was the psu so I switched back to the old one, same thing. I found out it was the round floppy cable that was causing the temp to go up. I thought it was a faulty cable so I went to a different store and bought a different brand, same thing. I put floppy ribbon cable back on and temps went back down. Also, the psu I bought is much quieter than the one I had, but it also moves a ton more air, so don't think that quieter always means it moves less air.

Wow that sounds quite a unique(and irritating) problem. I'm gonna try a case fan at the front first, and if that doesn't improve things I may have a problem like yours - hopefully not though. v

OK so I've found the cause of my problem. I opened up the case today and my CPU fan isn't spinning! :eek: I can only think the case fan next to it has kept things cool enough so they don't fry. I've no idea how or why it has stopped, when I put the new PSU in it was working fine. I can only think it has somehow come loose, or god forbid has died. I have very little knowledge of CPU fans so I've E-Mailed the tech guy who put it in to ask his advice. Any advice given here in addition would be much appreciated too.

ouch, that would have been one of the first things i checked but oh well, your still is still alive. If you have some money, you should go buy a new cooler, go look into an Xp 90, they work great.

But...i don't see how that would boost your motherboard temp so much but you never noticed your cpu temp go up?

_OvErClOcKeD_ said:
ouch, that would have been one of the first things i checked but oh well, your still is still alive. If you have some money, you should go buy a new cooler, go look into an Xp 90, they work great.

But...i don't see how that would boost your motherboard temp so much but you never noticed your cpu temp go up?

Me either - the CPU temp is pretty much the same as it always was. I put it down to the case fan that is very close to it. I don't really have any money, so I think my only option is to get this fan functional again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom