Worlds fastest memory interface up to 6.4 ghz - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 07:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default Worlds fastest memory interface up to 6.4 ghz

Rambus XDR™ DRAM technology is a total memory system solution that achieves an order of magnitude higher performance than today's standard memories while utilizing the fewest ICs. Perfect for graphics processing, consumer electronics, network, and server applications, a single, 2-byte wide, 3.2 GHz XDR DRAM component provides 6.4 GB/sec of peak bandwidth.

The XDR solution achieves its performance using several components. The XDR DRAM device is a high-speed memory IC that turbocharges standard CMOS DRAM cores with a high-speed interface capable of 3.2 and 4.0 GHz data rates with a roadmap to 4.8, 6.4, and 8.0 GHz in the future. On the controller side, the XIO (XDR I/O) cell provides the same high-speed signaling capability found on the DRAM, but adds additional enhancements like FlexPhase™ technology. The XMC (XDR memory controller) is a fully synthesizable logical memory controller that is optimized to take advantage of the technology's many special features like Dynamic Point-to-Point. System clocks are also provided using the XCG (XDR Clock Generator), which has four programmable outputs and is guaranteed to meet the clocking requirements for the XIO and XDR DRAM devices. Rambus also completely specifies the physical interconnect, which is designed to operate on standard boards and packages designed for high-volume consumer applications

Old 09-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

interesting. i didn't realise XDR was being designed by RamBus. interesting to see they're willing for another crack at proprietary technology after the RD-RAM fiasco. if this is all it's cracked up to be without the drawbacks RD-RAM had then AMD had better jump to quick and make a deal over the technology because Intel will slit their throats and get exclusive rights to it although it could go the same way it did with RD

Visit my website -
"Guitar is cool. If you dont think the guitar is cool, then youre stupid. And I will fight you! " - Brendon Small
I'm sorry but I do not accept support requests via IM, email, or personal messages
You can contact me for Forum related issues via PM only.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:05 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

if it becomes supported enough, and is not too expensive, then it should take off.

the biggest problem with RD was that it was expensive

although I'd like to see what the latencies of XDR would be like
Old 09-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

AMD is moving to FB-DIMM after DDR3 - Intel said they were and now haven't said anything.
Closed Thread