Worklog: Spidey Senses

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah thats definitely going to be a challenging cut. you could probably do without the acryllic and just backlight the cutout itself. if you use acryllic, put it behind the panel, that way you dont have to cut the spider design out.

That would definitly be the easier way out :p lol, but the other way would look cooler :D

I hate doing cutouts where I don't have the margin of error that the u-channeling trim covers, every inch of the edge is going to have to be filed down to perfection otherwise it will stick out in the paint job as a rough edge. This is going to take mucho time.

Have they or have you got any more?

Bah, sorry for long delay....no, nothing, turned that thing inside and out. All I have is what I suspect are part numbers for the actual individual case components:

RIB 2802

RPP 5705

Other than that there are only stamps of compliance, all dated 1998, a wee bit dated is this puppy. What's frustrating me is that when I got it last year I was able to find it online, but i didn't bookmark the page....now I can't find it.

LMAO...after so many hours of searching and scrounging I gave up trying to ID this case.

Then, today while cruising the local classifieds for any cheap steals I find a posting for an InWin Q500N Full Tower case, that's my case!....what are the odds. Anyways, buddy is selling his for $100 with 300W PSU, lol I got it for $0.99!

InWin Q500N Full Tower Computer Case w/300W PS

[edit]You have to understand how crazy this is....I cruise these classifieds every day and have been doing so for almost 2 years now and I've never seen this case before, I'd have recognized it and bookmarked the name. To find it, the day after I killed myself looking for this is nuts....****, need to go get a lottery ticket![/edit]

Update time....going a little slow but started planning out the wire management. In another thread I was asked to go a bit more detailed on the wire management so I'll try and post more on it.

So, this guy isn't sure yet what he wants in the system, he's sent me an old board he's thinking of using as a home theatre comp...not sure I agree with the hardware but it will be visible in the main room.

Anyways, I installed the mobo and marked where the edges would be and where cables would have to come out....I also marked the back side of the DVD and HDD racks for where I'd run in the SATA cables in.

IMG_3089.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

Picture003.jpg

This should keep most cables hidden...i hope :p

Now I just have to cut it up and then I can move on to the front.

Actually have 2 of these cases from a couple years back when I started doing a little modding.

For the one I cut 11 80mm fan holes and gave it a total of 15 80mm case fans and then painted it white and blue for my school colors. It was pretty cool looking but I never had a system to put into it so It just got abused and thrown in the garage.... :(

Actually have 2 of these cases from a couple years back when I started doing a little modding.

For the one I cut 11 80mm fan holes and gave it a total of 15 80mm case fans and then painted it white and blue for my school colors. It was pretty cool looking but I never had a system to put into it so It just got abused and thrown in the garage.... :(

Break that second one out and join the party!

Some more updates:

Adding a middle level fan to help direct air flow up to the top 120mm....started off here with a 120 and then realized after cutting the hole that a 120 wouldn't find and need to go with a 92mm.

IMG_3094.jpg

IMG_3095.jpg

Next I cut out the blow holes for the front, both in the plastic front cover and the steel front of the case.

Picture016.jpg

Next I'll trip it up a bit and insert the funnels you see at the bottom of the photo. going to use a 92mm fan for the top intake and a 120mm for the bottom intake. Going to have to do the fiberglass work soon as the temp here is dropping, not sure I'm going to get the painting in, in time.:

Picture009.jpg

Went to plating shop today to look at some black chrome finishes...beautiful stuff, will definitely have to do a case with that finish. Maybe an all chrome themed case, primary chrome black with standard chrome trip :D

Ok, so time to start the fiberglass work...gotta give credit where credit is due: This is straight from an mnpctech.com tutorial so if you want step by step check it out there:

Case Mod Turbine Guide

Going with this because A) It'll look cool :D and B) there is a front bezel on the case so when the two vents slide in there is an uneven gap on the right and left where the bezel is...only real way to take care of that is to fill it..the rest is as outlined on the tutorial by mnpctech.com.

Before doing the bezel work I had to fill in the front groove, pulled all the lights and switches, filled it all in with short strand fiberglass. The pink is bondo to fill the pin holes and other minor imperfections. I also filled in all the little holes at the bottom of the case...didn't like them.

Picture032.jpg

Gave it a quick primer coat..helps see the missed spots or other imperfections and then went to work on with coat one of short strand on the front intakes:

before:
vents.jpg

after:
Picture074.jpg

Should take me a good week or so to polish this off, will post pics when I'm done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom