[WORKLOG] PYZCHO B!TCH II (Harper's New Tower Case Modification)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
[WORKLOG] PZYCHO B!TCH II (Harper's New Tower Case Mod)

Now I am still a fan of Full Tower Cases for my main PC. I was about to do some thing about it last year, but my tax check did not show up with the return I was hoping for. And this year has been kinda of tight for me to justify getting a full tower case just for the shits and giggles value of it.

Anyways, last week, Boss-Man disided to upgrade his computer to a LanLi Case. Mean while we got this 2nd Hand Aopen H700 Case flooting aroun with. So Bossman offer it to me for half price. AU$80 as appose to the normal $160. He's threw in a Thermaltake Xcontroller has he did not need it any more.

Boss Man's Virgin Un- Modded Aopen H700 Case. And I am going to pop it's cherry tonight.

Orginally I was hoping to get in some Blue neons and places them down the sides of the 5 1/4 Drive bays. However I had a problem as a lot of neon light I could find where either too long, or too short.
The other problem was the Front pannel of this case needs to come on and off when ever I need to change any of the 5 1/4 devices. Eg. Optiical Drives, Removalable racks. Even if I was able to find some neons that were the right lenght, it would of weakened the front pannel. And the last thing I wanted was it breaking.
So I have abandoned that idea.

Instead I figured that might might put a fan with a fancy looking grill on the lower front panel.
Now finding the grill was easy. That was this really cool 120 mm one that had an interesting design to it.
The problem was then find a 120 mm fan to go with it. Orginally I was opening to find some thing that was blue fluro with reactive neon. NO LUCK. I could find a lot of 120 mm was were uv re-active. But they need to have a seperate UV tube(s) to go with them. And there is not enough space on the front panel.
And I did not want to do go to 80 mm fan.

So I found a Cooler Master 120 Fan with BLUE LEDs that should do the same thing.

120 mm Fan Grill and 120 mm Blue LED Fan.

First things first. Get rid of the existing fans.
And modify the existing 80mm Fan Hollows.

Firstly the fans in this case are some cheap and nasty jobs. They are not quiet. And they have a lot of dust in them as I remember putting make shift fan filters on them. So I have removed the lot of them. The fan are stuff with dust and dirt. So I am going toss them.

Now the next thing to do is modify the factory standard 80 mm fan mounts. The problem is all those little holes. Those holes can make a whistling sound if you have a fan blowing or sucking air in them.

80 mm fan with make shift phome filters on them.

Motherboard plate with factory standard 80 mm fan mounts

So with a strong power drill and 80 mm DeWalt Arbar made quick work of those guys. The Arbar is mate for cutting through metal, and it cut through the case like a hot knife through butter.

After cutting out the factory standard 80 mm fan holes. I then needed to sand down the edges on the 80 mm holes. I did this with a sander.

Now for the front panel. I will be need to drill a 120 mm hole on this front panel.
I measure where i wanted to put the hole into the front panel. I need to make sure that i was not interfering with the Front panel USB / Multimedia. I also need to make sure i was not interferiing with the 3 1/2 drive bays. And the (most importantly) the stucture to keep this front panel secured onto the Case Frame.

Front panel on the slab!!!
Unsuspecting on what is going to happen next.

This time, I changed over to a DeWalt 1200 mm Arbar. I cut through the plastic front pannel. But the problem is that needed to be fast enough that the arbar will cut, but slow so that I cut (not burn or melt) the hole into the pastic.

After doing the front panel, I then line up the arbar so it will cut another hole directly behind the one I put in the front panel.

Case with out the front panel. You can see how I modified the standard 80 mm fan mounts so they do not have any more of those annoying holes.

The only problem i did have was that I did not secure the hole saw onto the arber correctly. I did not relise this until I finished the job. This did make cutting the inside case harder. And I needed ****ed up the saw, arber and drill when was cutting. Thankfully I managed to fix this.

Anyways, after this, it was getting late. And I did not want to piss off my next store neighbour (who I hate) any more with more power drills. So I did a basic assemble on what this case is going to look like.

PzychoB!tch II Sneak Peak

Tomorrow I am planning fitting the fan grill onto the front plate. There is about 1cm space between the plastic on the front pannel and the fan grill. And up close it looks like shit.
Also I will be purchasing a 120mm dust filter as I want to slow down the dust going into the PC.

Damn that case is big, it makes mine look small.

Looks like you're basically just modifying air circulation, cutting out the top and putting some acrylic in so you can look down on everything would be pretty cool IMO

Methinks you need to paint it though, the fan grill looks really out of place on the generic beige :p

gaara said:
Methinks you need to paint it though, the fan grill looks really out of place on the generic beige :p
I plan to.

I am planning on giving it 2 undercoats of black paint. And then the last coat while be metallic black.

Ok a few questions for my own case modding. 1 How do you mount the circular thing on your drill to cut a clean hole liek that? 2 what size do i need for an 80mm fan? or a 90mm fan? Also, i have that same fan grill lol. Came stock w/ my Raidmax case. :D

P.P. Mguire said:
Ok a few questions for my own case modding. 1 How do you mount the circular thing on your drill to cut a clean hole liek that? 2 what size do i need for an 80mm fan? or a 90mm fan? Also, i have that same fan grill lol. Came stock w/ my Raidmax case. :D

Check out DeWalts website.

You will be needing a Hole Saw Mandrel
DW1803_1NP.gif

You will be needing a Hole Saws...
D180016_1.gif

3-1/8 (76mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 80mm Fan
3-1/2 (89mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 90mm Fan
4-1/2 (114mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 120mm Fans.

I purchased mine directly from DeWalt. The Mandrel was AU$40, and the each hole saw averages at AU$40.
I was lucky as this was a Chirstmas Present from my dad

When you are puchasing an mandrel and hole saw....
1. Do not settle for cheap shit. The last thing you want is the blade shattering when you are cutting.

2. Tell the sale guy what you are cutting into. Again, you do not want it shattering.

3. If you have a DeWalt Shop right next store to a computer store (Like my DeWalt Shop), then the sales guy will know exactly what you want and will very likely have the stuff in stock.

Ok thanx, i needed to know what piece i used to mount the saws on. My stuff (dont laugh) made in USA so im sure it wont break. Anywho all i have is this, the mandrel and these sizes. 2 1/2, 2 3/8, 2 1/8, 1,3/4. Will any of those work for the fans i want to drill. (80mm preferably)

P.P. Mguire said:
Ok thanx, i needed to know what piece i used to mount the saws on. My stuff (dont laugh) made in USA so im sure it wont break. Anywho all i have is this, the mandrel and these sizes. 2 1/2, 2 3/8, 2 1/8, 1,3/4. Will any of those work for the fans i want to drill. (80mm preferably)

3-1/8 (76mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 80mm Fan works perfectly for the 80mm hand. I cut 5 of them last night.

For those people that are after DeWalt part number, i am using
#D180048 3-1/8 (76mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 80mm Fan
#D180072 4-1/2 (114mm) Bi-Metal Hole Saw for 120mm Fans.

LOG ENTRY - 04/09/05

I was looking at the front panel and the grill this morning. The problem with the front panel is that it's curved. The fan and grill on the other hand are not.

So I spend about a hour with the leveling what I could on the inside of the front panel.

Now the grill sits much more closer the front panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom