Worklog for the Noob Myths of Overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

veg1992

Golden Master
Does the thread sound familiar?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/common-noob-myths-170388/

Ringing a bell? Since that became pretty useful and got viewed a lot, I think this could be useful

Well we'll do this the same style.. this is just a temp thing, until we get a final decision and layout for what the containing will be, so ring up any suggestions

Note theres are all hypothetical examples

- I saw you helped my friend hit 4.0ghz, so can you help me hit 4.0ghz too?
* Yes and No, overclocks have certain variables that can affect how well you can overclock like VID (voltage required to run at stock speeds), Factors of the environment (Temperatures of the Room, Temps of the CPU, Airflow of your Case, your fan)

- So I'm using stock cooler on my CPU, so I can't overclock right?
* Not true, as if you have a decent CPU thats tiny bit overclockable you can run past stock speeds on your stock cooler, just keep an eye on your temps too ;)

- I don't want to overclock because it'll kill my CPU faster
* Thats heresy!! (Study up on those Techie Bible Commandments) CPU's lives are dropped a little from overclocking however, its not much that you'd cry about it (1 million hours to like maybe 999,000 instead?), unless you overjuice it (too much voltage)

For helping by adding something that gets into the full version, you do get credit for helping

CREDITS: vernong1992, advancedgeek

All cpu's that are the same overclock just as well as the other right?
Wrong, some cpu's have higher vid's which limits overclocking more and some chips just don't overclock well.
--------------
That is kinda like the first one though

something to add to the first one is that your motherboard, and ram that you are using also effect how much you can overclock
-------------------
People say that temps higher then 60c are very dangerous
Wrong, these things can run at higher temps before throttling back, running at 70c is perfectly safe.
--------------------
^^^i don't want to say much higher then 70 because i don't have any experience over that, and a can't remember what gurusan told me
-----------
Overclocking is only something extreme enthusiast's do and it is hard right?
no, anyone with a basic knowledge of computers, who can use google, and are willing to learn a few things can overclock just as well as anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom