Working with Acrylic/Plexiglass...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
I'm going to make a sort of holder/case/shroud thing for a 120.2 radiator so that it will mount above my Antec 900 240mm fan.

I would like to use black plexiglass, I've found some online for a good price.

My questions are:

-How do I cut it? The sheet is 3mm thick and I was thinking of just using a stanley knife to make some cuts, then just snap it?

-How do I glue the parts together? Which glue should I use? I was thinking of just roughening up the edges a bit with some sandpaper and then using some sort of silicone adhesive? Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

You need to use a hot knife, it's a stanly with a inbuilt heating element. OR you could try a dremmel at LOW speeds.

As for glueing it try that two part epoxy stuff or even some form of plastic piping glue.

I assume plexiglass isn't that heavy, and it wouldn't really be necessary to use glue.

You can just use a modder's kind of tape. Like Scotch Brand Clear Tape #4010. It would also be easier to remove, should you decide to change it, for whatever reason.

You can also buy those corner blocks for plexi. If you have all the dimensions, most places will cut the plexi for you at the store.

I've cut a hole in the side of my case for a window. I'm planning on using screws to attach it to the case.

To cut the plext, it depends on how think it is.
If it's relatively thin, you can use a stanley knife
If it's thick, you can use a jigsaw, and then clean the edges up afterwards.

Don't cut the glass if you can help, best/cleanest look is to bend it with heat. Use a paint stripping gun for best results, torch will work too but be careful not to over heat and burn/melt the glass. use a straight edge and clamps to hold the glass in place while it cools, wont take long.

If you must cut, then bandsaw is best if you've got one, if not the as suggested above use either jig saw or dremmel on low speed. With the dremmel I always leave a little space and then use a sanding bit to sand down to my line. the dremmel can melt the glass while you cut which can ruin your cut if you're not careful.

For exposed edges use a fine grip paper and block to sand it down flat then use a polishing bit to make it nice and smooth and clear...looks real nice for exposed edges. if you have a bench grinder a polishing wheel works great.

Don't cut the glass if you can help, best/cleanest look is to bend it with heat. Use a paint stripping gun for best results, torch will work too but be careful not to over heat and burn/melt the glass. use a straight edge and clamps to hold the glass in place while it cools, wont take long.

If you must cut, then bandsaw is best if you've got one, if not the as suggested above use either jig saw or dremmel on low speed. With the dremmel I always leave a little space and then use a sanding bit to sand down to my line. the dremmel can melt the glass while you cut which can ruin your cut if you're not careful.

For exposed edges use a fine grip paper and block to sand it down flat then use a polishing bit to make it nice and smooth and clear...looks real nice for exposed edges. if you have a bench grinder a polishing wheel works great.
we're not talking about glass glass. we're talking about clear plastic. that's what plexiglass is.

we're not talking about glass glass. we're talking about clear plastic. that's what plexiglass is.

lol, of course we are....when was the last time you were able to bend "glass" by simply heating and bending it with a paint stripping gun :p

Guess I should have spelled it out as plexi every time instead of just calling it glass...less confusion, sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom