Won't Overclock At All

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baez

Admin / Dev
Staff member
So I've been trying everything to overclock my E8500 but it just won't without encountering the weirdest problem. It boots fine from the overclock it's after that I encounter the problem. First time I thought my harddrive was dying.

Apparently it isn't. It kept crashing and getting blue screens when it was around 3.5GHz. Thought that was pretty odd considering I was still at 32C load and 1.25v. RAM is at a low speed too. Went back into Windows and it said it was my harddrive. Next time I reboot the comp won't go further than POST and freezes at detecting 1 of my drives. The drive that Windows said was crashing.

Makes sense up to this point. Get a new drive right? Well it isn't my drive. The second I lowered the clock back to stock no blue screens or harddrive problems. The drive is detected everytime. As soon as I try to up it again, the drive fails to be detected...

Can someone please tell me WTF is going on?

I'm a very experienced overclocker too. I've tried setting all voltages at different settings. 1.25v is fine for 3.5GHz with an E8500. But thanks for the suggestion.

When I am overclocking, I pump up the voltage to see if I can even make a certain point. With E8500s I usually give it 1.3875 V and that should hit 4.0GHz. After that I lower the voltage until it becomes unstable and reset to the previous stable voltage.

That's just weird. Maybe the HDD is on it's way out and when you put extra strain on the mobo, it has problems reading? I wouldn't know what else would be the problem...

Nex thing I can think of is to clone my drive and use the new one. It's even more annoying because it's the drive with my OS's on it. So when it fails I can't do anything.

Alright I have the new drive cloned and am running from it as I type this. Let's see if this does the trick. God I hope it does...

you have the biostar i45 right? the timings are in spec right? what ram? you might have gotten a crappy chip. what were the blue screen's?

Yeah I'm on the Biostar i45. I'm up to 3.8GHz and so far so good :D. May have been the hard drive after all. Have to wait and see if I get anymore nice BSODs. The blue screens before were all hard drive related but only when the CPU was overclocked.

Anyway my specs are:

Core 2 E8500
Biostar i45
G.Skill 1066 @ 5-5-5-15
GeForce GTX 260

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom