Wire management - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2009, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Wire management

Swat needs some advice.
I recently saw some of the murderbox pictures and became very ashamed of the inside of my computer. Anyone have suggestions for wire management? Are there kits? Or do you have to pay extra for a PSU? tips? tricks?

Blushing skin is whispering. slight of tongue, can kill so softly. Velvet lips sing lullabies, so satin sleek but still so costly
Old 02-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Default Re: Wire management

There are many ways for good wire managment. There are kits, called sleeves of many colors if you want to decorate your machine up. Or you can go the cheap way yet still effective of zip ties as I use.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake A2379 Black Cable Sleeving Kit - PC Tools

Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Rate the Wire Management Above You!

Is a whole thread in the READ THIS FIRST sticky.

Lots of good info there.
Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz Gigabyte x58a-ud3r EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 3x2gb OCZ Gold Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
I feel funny...
Send a message via AIM to thirdshiftdj

if you sleeve I would only use techflex
Techflex Expandable Sleeving - wire and cable management experts
make sure to get the tools to do it properly.
CaseArts PSU Modding Tool Kit, 4 Molex Extractors, Universal, Floppy & Fan, Auxillary, ATX , Retail Box-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com
Route wires through the back w/ clips and zipties to hold them down and if you do end up runnin wires through the front of the mobo, try to group them ie: gpu and 24 pin atx can get bundled and zip tied together. If you want to get extreme you can cut holes and use grommets and snake wires through there. Having a good roomy case makes it easier but if you don't have that luxury you will have to work alittle harder to make it look good. One of the many reasons why I won't buy a cheap case.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to nderscore

For sleeving I use Black PET and Colored PET Braided Sleeving

For heatshrink I use Wire Insulation: Heat Shrink Tubing

To properly shrink the heatshrink, a heatgun is recommended (can be found Home Depot or Lowes)

Zip ties can be found at Black UV Cable Ties

For zip tie mounts I use 3/4" Cable Tie Mounts S-12410 - Uline

To remove ATX/4pin/6pin/8pin connectors use Dual Head ATX & Auxiliary Molex Removal Tool [ATX-AUX-TOOL] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

To remove male molex pins Molex Removal Tool for Male Pins [MOLEX-TOOL-M] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

To remove female molex pins Molex Removal Tool for Female Pins [MOLEX-TOOL-F] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

Hope this helps.
Closed Thread