Will this work? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2009, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Default Will this work?

I just got an old Compaq up and running:
900MHz AMD Athlon (Thunderbird) (100MHz x9)
Compaq 06E4h mobo

The mobo has a 100MHz/133MHz jumper on it. Would changing this possibly OC my system, how much risk is associated with that (other than heat)? Also I was reading that compaq had taken another Mobo, changed the power switch and onboard usb and called it their own. Therefore I would be able to do a bios flash with the "other brand's" bios allowing me access to more "OC" options in the bios? Does this sound possible? Just tinkering here. but I would prefer to ask if I am being hazardous before I go and destroy something haha.

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other :crazy:
Old 12-01-2009, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE
Default Re: Will this work?

The bios thing sounds totally made up, so don't try that lol.

The 100Mhz/133Mhz jumper is probably to set the FSB, e.g. if you have a processor with a 133mhz FSB you set the jumper to the matching setting.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Closed Thread