Will my AMD 2500+ hold me back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xteam02001

In Runtime
I have an AMD Athlon xp "Barton" core, 333FSB, 512kb cache. it is paired up with 512mb of Kingston RAM and a biostar mobo. i have it running stable at 2.2ghz. i am looking into buying a nVidia 6800GT. I was wondering if my processor will hold me back. Will it bottle neck my system and hold back the video card?

It is a possibility, but depending on which game you are playing and what graphics options you are using, your framerate will most likely be limited by the video card.

No, it shouldn't hold back the card at all. The games are becoming very GPU oriented not so much CPU, so I believe for most games really 1.5GHz could probably handle the load.

BUT you should go into your BIOS and change around the Multiplier and FSB if you can (you need to be able to lock the AGP/PCI busses though if you up the FSB) but you can set it to 200 in the CPU Frequency so that you have a 1:1 ratio with DDR400, assuming you have PC3200 then this would provide you the most optimized situation.

I wouldn't worry about your CPU bottlenecking your card though.

thanks for the advice. Nubius: i have my cpu already overclocked to 2.2ghz with 200mhz FSB at stock voltage. it comes stock at 1.8ghz with 166mhz FSB. and i also have my ram running at 200mhz.

thanks for the advice. Nubius: i have my cpu already overclocked to 2.2ghz with 200mhz FSB at stock voltage. it comes stock at 1.8ghz with 166mhz FSB. and i also have my ram running at 200mhz.
Excellent :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom