will i need a new power supply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CntdwnToExtn

Fully Optimized
in the near future...about a month...i'm gonna get a new graphics card...probably a 9800pro because the price fits my broke ass wallet cause of college and only a weekend job..and my obsession with beer.....though cuttin' back on the beer i have been doing! oh ya!

i have a 350watt right now and runnin with no problems what so ever:

athlon 64 2800+
3 hard drives (IDE)
1 cd burner (IDE)
3 case fans
1 floppy
and a partrige in a pair tree.....oh wait.....:p

if i get the card, i'm going to discontinue a HD and just throw that stuff onto my main, until even later down the road i invest in SATA.

will this be a problem power wize?
i'd hate to have to invest in that also....

I would recommend that you do, the 9800 Pro takes it own molex connector from the PSU, and combine that with a Athlon 64 which demands high current on the 12v rail, and you may run into some problems.

Better safe than sorry.

I personally think that you'll be fine with that.. pushing it, but you should be fine. Since this psu you have already is probably the crap one that came with the case, I'm worried the rails will be unbalanced once you do get the card.

You should download asus probe or something else that watches the psu rails. When you do get the card, just check to see that all the rails are about what they should be, if so you should do alright.

*edit* actually the 64b chips require less voltage

Demalii said:
You should download asus probe or something else that watches the psu rails. When you do get the card, just check to see that all the rails are about what they should be, if so you should do alright.

i haev a gigabyte motherboard...it wouldn't work would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom