Why Overclock RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
I'm curious as to why people overclock RAM. Is it purely a bragging rights thing?

I saw a link on Xtreme Systems in which they compared some 1GB of OCZ RAM @ 270 MHz vs. @ 200 MHz, and there was only a 4-6 increase in frames per second while gaming.

I can't justify paying $100 extra dollars for something that will only give me 4-6 frames per second more.

PizzatheHut06 said:
I'm curious as to why people overclock RAM.
Umm, because you can? And because when you overclock your CPU you also overclock the RAM.

Re: Re: Why Overclock RAM?

003 said:
Umm, because you can? And because when you overclock your CPU you also overclock the RAM.

I understand how overclocking works. My point is why not get some value RAM, run it @ DDR 400 using a memory divider, and spend the extra $100 you saved on RAM to buy a nicer video card that will make a MUCH bigger difference in gameplay.

æArchOAngelæ said:
people like to overclock, ram is another thing you can over, also 4-6 frames increase, thats 4-6 frames more in a game.

Really? Didnt know that....thats pretty good.

If your gettin 30fps and then you get 36, hey thats a difference enough. Which I guess, is why, LOTS of people do it. I just never have myself.

it also could be the difference in maxing fps in a game or not

which gives you that warm fuzzy feeling.

we need a person who overclocks ram to tell us why...

it's not purely for gaming ya know. I like to just have my system overall respond quicker which is does with my RAM running faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom