Why is my comptuer doing this!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpayne11

Solid State Member
Recently my computer has been turning off on its own out of nowhere. The monitor will lose its image and all of the LED's on the computer will turn on and stay on. The computer doesnt ever turn off but its not working either when this happens.

Ive been told it could be power supply or overheating... BIOS says my CPU is at 123 degrees F.

Fans seem to all be working.

Athlon 1200
512 RAM
Win XP Pro
Antec power supply and fan (alienware)

Sure no problem...

Motherboard-- VIA KT133 w/ 6 PCI

NVIDIA GEFORCE 4 Ti 4400

AMD Thunderbird 1200

Windows XP Pro, SP1

The RAM - I am unsure... I have 3 chips on the board... I cant really remember the exact specs on those... any way to find out?

Yeah, go to
Control panel>System, and it will tell you. There are also many good utilities that will say how much RAM you have, among other things.

Will your system boot into safe mode ? If so check for Troubled Devices .Theres a tool you can use to test your power supply.
Check at Comp USA , BB etc... You can run MEMTEST from a floppy to test your memory . Possibly could be a Video Card problem

Dude what ur describing is defanitly a psu or a mobo problem try getting a new psu cause thats the cheapest if it still happens then get a new mobo go

Well looks like the capacitors are fine. I opened up the case, took the side case fan and put it in the middle with the other back fan and its running good so far we will see... bleh.

isn't 50C really hot for an 1200? if it still gives you trouble i would take apart the heatsink. wipe off the thermal paste or scrape off the thermal pad. apply fresh artic silver white ceramique paste to the CPU die.

that 300 watt antec is very good. if it is shutting down from nowhere i'd blame CPU overheat first.

Hey

The same thing is happening to me! holy crap this sucks. I posted my specs and description in the Hardware zone just a minute ago. If anyone can give me anything as well, thanks. If you DID fix it, please please please tell me what you did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom