Why CPU have speed limit of roughly 3GHz? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Default Re: Why CPU have speed limit of roughly 3GHz?

The main reason clock speeds are limited is due to the nm process used on the cores.

As this shrinks, heat output goes down, and high clocks can be realized.

Though, those P4 chips were just plain beastly. World record is upwards of 7ghz with LN2.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM   #12 (permalink)
Biostar Stole my heart

Send a message via MSN to Hussein19891

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Some of the prescott's were 3.8 stock.
My presscot in my old Dell was 3.5ghz stock.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to aaronkupen Send a message via Yahoo to aaronkupen

I also thought that it was in some part due to the amplification limitations of silicon itself. This would be the most direct answer I believe, although all the other ones previously stated would be suitable indirect reasons.

By the way, what was the job you were applying for? I'm curious as to why you would need to know this.
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Windows Vista Business x64
Old 06-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

1 THz CPU *Drool* mmm Imagine the Alternate Reality I could play with, with that sucker....
GPU: GTX 760
Ram: OCZ Platinum 6GB DDR3 1600 Triple Channel (Stock)
Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe
PSU: Corsair TX750W
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache (ST31000333AS)
Cooler Master HAF 932
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothch1ck View Post
1 THz CPU *Drool* mmm Imagine the Alternate Reality I could play with, with that sucker....
Doesnt mater if its 1000THZ, programmers will just get sloppier and sloppier with their coding and the benefits will be greatly reduced.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
cpu's do not have a speed limit, they have a heat/voltage limit

one day there will be 1THz cpu's.
Wrong.

Basically its these two limitations (below), both of which will depend on the engineering design of the chip but are in general a characteristic limitation of silicon. the first limitation, "settle speed" will depend greatly on the second limitation, heat, so if you cool the core to sub zero temperature you will hit the limitation #1 barrier at a much higher clock speed. Hence why overclocking depends greatly on cooling.

from wiki:

1# After each clock pulse, the signal lines inside the CPU need time to settle to their new state. If the next clock pulse comes in too soon, while the signals are still settling (before every signal line has finished transitioning from 0 to 1, or from 1 to 0), the results will be incorrect. Chip manufacturers publish a "maximum clock rate" specification, and they test chips before selling them to make sure they meet that specification, even when executing the most complicated instructions with the data patterns that take the longest to settle (testing at the temperature and voltage that runs the lowest performance).

2# Some energy is wasted as heat (mostly inside the driving transistors) whenever a signal line makes a transition from the 0 to the 1 state or vice versa. When executing complicated instructions that cause lots of transitions, higher clock rates produce more heat. If electricity is converted to heat faster than a particular computer cooling system can get rid of it, then the transistors may get hot enough to be destroyed.
XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Old 06-11-2009, 04:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefemeister View Post
Some of the prescott's were 3.8 stock.
They did get that far, but shortly after they started moving over to Pentium D which was quickly replaced with Core2. A lot of people where holding out for the Core2 chips.

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!" -- Rob Zombie
Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Old 06-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Inspired by Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCoffee View Post
Wrong.

Basically its these two limitations (below), both of which will depend on the engineering design of the chip but are in general a characteristic limitation of silicon. the first limitation, "settle speed" will depend greatly on the second limitation, heat, so if you cool the core to sub zero temperature you will hit the limitation #1 barrier at a much higher clock speed. Hence why overclocking depends greatly on cooling.

from wiki:

1# After each clock pulse, the signal lines inside the CPU need time to settle to their new state. If the next clock pulse comes in too soon, while the signals are still settling (before every signal line has finished transitioning from 0 to 1, or from 1 to 0), the results will be incorrect. Chip manufacturers publish a "maximum clock rate" specification, and they test chips before selling them to make sure they meet that specification, even when executing the most complicated instructions with the data patterns that take the longest to settle (testing at the temperature and voltage that runs the lowest performance).

2# Some energy is wasted as heat (mostly inside the driving transistors) whenever a signal line makes a transition from the 0 to the 1 state or vice versa. When executing complicated instructions that cause lots of transitions, higher clock rates produce more heat. If electricity is converted to heat faster than a particular computer cooling system can get rid of it, then the transistors may get hot enough to be destroyed.
silicon based cpus' will not be around forever.

Quote:
"In physics today, graphene is, arguably, the most exciting topic," Palacios says. It is the strongest material ever discovered, and also has a number of unsurpassed electrical properties, such as "mobility" -- the ease with which electrons can start moving in the material, key to use in electronics -- which is 100 times that of silicon, the standard material of computer chips."
now we are talking
Old 06-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastegw View Post
silicon based cpus' will not be around forever.
I certainly hope not I look forward to seeing some impressive new tech in my lifetime. However we're probably stuck with silicon for a while yet.

XFX HD4890
Noctua nh-u12p
Corsair HX520
Antec 300
Samsung 1TB F1 Spinpoint
Samsung SM2443BW 24"
Closed Thread