White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oreo

-Deactivated-
OK, so i dont have Isopropyl alcohol to remove the old thermal paste off my E6300, i was thinking white spirit, being a alcohol and solvent based cleaner (mostly used to clean paintbrushes lol) would be ok ? Not sure though .

Any other stuff i could use ?

Ok i just looked, and it contains Turpentine Substitute, and Napthta (Petroleum) and Hydra (very long word) something or other.

Hmm... i just used Nail Polish remover (acetone) read a few people used it. But now i have a BIG problem. My dad put it in a anti-static bag and wrapped it up with the old Theral Grease/Paste still on... and a few very small smudges got on the contacts on the bottom, presumably were it meets with the 775 pins on the motherboard, i dont know wether the paste is electrically conductive or not, if it is HOW DO I CLEAN IT OFF ! ? ! Or is my CPU allready done for..

my AS5 just arived. that is the smallest syringe on earth. Lol.

ahhh, that happened to be before. i just used a toothpick and tried to take as much off as possible... lol. just make sure the paste isn't linking from 1 pin to another and your fine but still try to clean it as much as possible.

yea AS5 comes in a small package.. lol

So dont clean it with any acetone or fluid as before ?

also when using a toothpick... how am i supposed to hold it (static...)

Right... i got a tothpick and got away the most of it, but i could still see a think film covering some of the contacts in one area, so i got some soft, non textured toilet tissue paper and dabbed it off. Not sure wether that was the right thing to do... but owell. Mot of its off now, i can only see a microscopic small layer on 2 or 3 of the contacts.

So dont clean it with any acetone or fluid as before ?

also when using a toothpick... how am i supposed to hold it (static...)

Right... i got a tothpick and got away the most of it, but i could still see a think film covering some of the contacts in one area, so i got some soft, non textured toilet tissue paper and dabbed it off. Not sure wether that was the right thing to do... but owell. Mot of its off now, i can only see a microscopic small layer on 2 or 3 of the contacts.

Touch metal, rub your hands all over it. Then you can touch it. :D

Hmm... i just used Nail Polish remover (acetone) read a few people used it. But now i have a BIG problem. My dad put it in a anti-static bag and wrapped it up with the old Theral Grease/Paste still on... and a few very small smudges got on the contacts on the bottom, presumably were it meets with the 775 pins on the motherboard, i dont know wether the paste is electrically conductive or not, if it is HOW DO I CLEAN IT OFF ! ? ! Or is my CPU allready done for..

my AS5 just arived. that is the smallest syringe on earth. Lol.

that (the acetone) was an even worse idea than paint thinner.
it will leave a residue (and probably has some sort of fragrance as well, not good) on your cpu, and it will inhibit your as5 from reaching its full potential. this is arguable, but i do know that a solution containing acetone will leave unwanted residue.
high spirits isopropyl rubbing alcohol...it costs like 93 cents, dude...and you can find it anywhere...
use a coffee filter (no lint) to wipe it on with, then a clean one to wipe off.
works like a charm.
but i definitely recommend cleaning it thoroughly with the alcohol before doing anything.
paint thinner...? lol.
use the coffee filter/alcohol solution for the pins, just be sure to get it (the thermal compound) all off. the alcohol will dry completely, with no residue.
leave the paint thinner in the shed and the nail polosh remover in your sister's room from now on lol.

Haha... to late :cool:

Its got to be better then what i did before aka, nothing at all :D.

The White Spirit is actualy an inudstrial cleaner, ive been reading about it. It should be fine, its not got any oil in it ( i checked, it mixes with water :))

that (the acetone) was an even worse idea than paint thinner.
it will leave a residue (and probably has some sort of fragrance as well, not good) on your cpu, and it will inhibit your as5 from reaching its full potential. this is arguable, but i do know that a solution containing acetone will leave unwanted residue.
high spirits isopropyl rubbing alcohol...it costs like 93 cents, dude...and you can find it anywhere...
use a coffee filter (no lint) to wipe it on with, then a clean one to wipe off.
works like a charm.
but i definitely recommend cleaning it thoroughly with the alcohol before doing anything.
paint thinner...? lol.
use the coffee filter/alcohol solution for the pins, just be sure to get it (the thermal compound) all off. the alcohol will dry completely, with no residue.
leave the paint thinner in the shed and the nail polosh remover in your sister's room from now on lol.

I went i checked my CPU... whats this a film of yucky residue, you were right ! :D... at 9 alock at night i cant get any rubbing alcohol... Vodka was my only choice :cool: its no good as a primary cleaner, but worked well enough to get the film of residue off, it was 42 Percent alcohol, had some glycerol in (dam) and the rest was water... owell. Cleaned the contacts with it as well :eek: water + contacts = bad idea. Owell. Im sure it will be fine, or probably not the amount of times ive handled it and put diferent cleaners on.

lol, i did exactly the same thing as what K M A N did and my opteron is still working happily.. i didnt even clean mines as well as K M A N did. i can still see grease on the pins LOL. but the opteron still worked..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom