White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-16-2007, 06:55 AM   #1 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

OK, so i dont have Isopropyl alcohol to remove the old thermal paste off my E6300, i was thinking white spirit, being a alcohol and solvent based cleaner (mostly used to clean paintbrushes lol) would be ok ? Not sure though .

Any other stuff i could use ?

Ok i just looked, and it contains Turpentine Substitute, and Napthta (Petroleum) and Hydra (very long word) something or other.
__________________

__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 692
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

i believe as long as it doesnt contain any oil, it will be fine. i might be wrong though.
__________________

__________________
System Specs
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
krazieaznboi is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Hmm... i just used Nail Polish remover (acetone) read a few people used it. But now i have a BIG problem. My dad put it in a anti-static bag and wrapped it up with the old Theral Grease/Paste still on... and a few very small smudges got on the contacts on the bottom, presumably were it meets with the 775 pins on the motherboard, i dont know wether the paste is electrically conductive or not, if it is HOW DO I CLEAN IT OFF ! ? ! Or is my CPU allready done for..

my AS5 just arived. that is the smallest syringe on earth. Lol.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 692
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

ahhh, that happened to be before. i just used a toothpick and tried to take as much off as possible... lol. just make sure the paste isn't linking from 1 pin to another and your fine but still try to clean it as much as possible.

yea AS5 comes in a small package.. lol
__________________
System Specs
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
krazieaznboi is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 08:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

So dont clean it with any acetone or fluid as before ?

also when using a toothpick... how am i supposed to hold it (static...)

Right... i got a tothpick and got away the most of it, but i could still see a think film covering some of the contacts in one area, so i got some soft, non textured toilet tissue paper and dabbed it off. Not sure wether that was the right thing to do... but owell. Mot of its off now, i can only see a microscopic small layer on 2 or 3 of the contacts.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Jose, California
Posts: 2,456
Send a message via AIM to phucng_10 Send a message via Yahoo to phucng_10
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K M A N View Post
So dont clean it with any acetone or fluid as before ?

also when using a toothpick... how am i supposed to hold it (static...)

Right... i got a tothpick and got away the most of it, but i could still see a think film covering some of the contacts in one area, so i got some soft, non textured toilet tissue paper and dabbed it off. Not sure wether that was the right thing to do... but owell. Mot of its off now, i can only see a microscopic small layer on 2 or 3 of the contacts.
Touch metal, rub your hands all over it. Then you can touch it.
__________________
|phucng_10's WM|
phucng_10 is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 01:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator
 
Nagasama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: probably on the lake
Posts: 6,956
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by K M A N View Post
Hmm... i just used Nail Polish remover (acetone) read a few people used it. But now i have a BIG problem. My dad put it in a anti-static bag and wrapped it up with the old Theral Grease/Paste still on... and a few very small smudges got on the contacts on the bottom, presumably were it meets with the 775 pins on the motherboard, i dont know wether the paste is electrically conductive or not, if it is HOW DO I CLEAN IT OFF ! ? ! Or is my CPU allready done for..

my AS5 just arived. that is the smallest syringe on earth. Lol.
that (the acetone) was an even worse idea than paint thinner.
it will leave a residue (and probably has some sort of fragrance as well, not good) on your cpu, and it will inhibit your as5 from reaching its full potential. this is arguable, but i do know that a solution containing acetone will leave unwanted residue.
high spirits isopropyl rubbing alcohol...it costs like 93 cents, dude...and you can find it anywhere...
use a coffee filter (no lint) to wipe it on with, then a clean one to wipe off.
works like a charm.
but i definitely recommend cleaning it thoroughly with the alcohol before doing anything.
paint thinner...? lol.
use the coffee filter/alcohol solution for the pins, just be sure to get it (the thermal compound) all off. the alcohol will dry completely, with no residue.
leave the paint thinner in the shed and the nail polosh remover in your sister's room from now on lol.
__________________
"nagasama no longer drinks tecate, or streaks out of the night for anything, and he has a fine wife so he has no use for your girlfriend...she is safe..."
Nagasama is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 03:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Haha... to late

Its got to be better then what i did before aka, nothing at all .

The White Spirit is actualy an inudstrial cleaner, ive been reading about it. It should be fine, its not got any oil in it ( i checked, it mixes with water )
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
-Deactivated-
 
Oreo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: England
Posts: 5,723
Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
that (the acetone) was an even worse idea than paint thinner.
it will leave a residue (and probably has some sort of fragrance as well, not good) on your cpu, and it will inhibit your as5 from reaching its full potential. this is arguable, but i do know that a solution containing acetone will leave unwanted residue.
high spirits isopropyl rubbing alcohol...it costs like 93 cents, dude...and you can find it anywhere...
use a coffee filter (no lint) to wipe it on with, then a clean one to wipe off.
works like a charm.
but i definitely recommend cleaning it thoroughly with the alcohol before doing anything.
paint thinner...? lol.
use the coffee filter/alcohol solution for the pins, just be sure to get it (the thermal compound) all off. the alcohol will dry completely, with no residue.
leave the paint thinner in the shed and the nail polosh remover in your sister's room from now on lol.

I went i checked my CPU... whats this a film of yucky residue, you were right ! ... at 9 alock at night i cant get any rubbing alcohol... Vodka was my only choice its no good as a primary cleaner, but worked well enough to get the film of residue off, it was 42 Percent alcohol, had some glycerol in (dam) and the rest was water... owell. Cleaned the contacts with it as well water + contacts = bad idea. Owell. Im sure it will be fine, or probably not the amount of times ive handled it and put diferent cleaners on.
__________________
-Deactivated-
Oreo is offline  
Old 07-16-2007, 09:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 692
Default Re: White Spirit as CPU Cleaner ?

lol, i did exactly the same thing as what K M A N did and my opteron is still working happily.. i didnt even clean mines as well as K M A N did. i can still see grease on the pins LOL. but the opteron still worked..
__________________

__________________
System Specs
Opteron 165 cooled by Zalman 9500A LED // DFI Lanparty UT NF4-D // Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320-GB Hard Drive // Sapphire X1950XT 256MB cooled by Zalman VF900 Cu LED // 2x1GB OCZ EL Plantinum // Enermax NoiseTaker 430W // Pioneer DVD & Combo Optical Drive // 20" Samsung 206BW Monitor // Logitech Z-2300 Speakers // Logitech G11 Keyboard and Microsoft Sidewinder mouse // Antec Nine Hundred Case
krazieaznboi is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.