Where do I start? (Overclocking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJMede

Solid State Member
I recently JUST built my computer and I want more performance out of the CPU. I have a phenom 955 BE and an msi motherboard. Theres an OC dial on the motherboard, but from what I know I have to OC in the BIOS.. What things should I look out for temperature wise? Any software I could use?

If you need more info let me know, I'm rather tired and my post is pretty broad..

Do you have an aftermarket CPU cooler? I'm not sure of the average temperatures on a Phenom, but anything above 60C idle to me is a little hot.

60C idle on anything is WAY too hot lol. Processors will usually idle at ~40c tops (e.g. i7 920s), the newer Sandy Bridge cpus from Intel idle in the 20-30s. AMD processors usually idle in the low 30's as well

If you want my specs they're in the thread
http://www.techist.com/forums/f75/building-600-800-gaming-computer-first-time-246426/

What does (Deneb) mean in the model name?

I never bought any fans, anything I am using came in the boxes that I purchased and I downloaded a program called Core Temp and these are the readings, I'm not too sure if they're accurate. What do you guys think? Does it seem "normal"?

If all is good, how would I go about overclocking my CPU safely, via bios? I know all mobos and CPUs are different so I'm a little lost right now.

Deneb is just the code name for a particular model of core, don't worry about it ;)
If you're using stock cooling, then you won't be able to overclock as high. I don't overclock AMD processors often, so I'll leave it to someone with more experience to tell you what to do here.

Pretty easy with your cpu just raise the multi up one and test it. keep moving till it becomes unstable and then back down to the highest multi that works. If you want to go farther than that you will need more volts. I don't add voltage myself so if you intend on that ask someone that does it often. I got to 3.6 from 2.8 on my 920 without adding volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom