what's wrong with my cpu cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo3tech

In Runtime
my cpu has a good heatsink and a fan. it's a zalman.

but for some reason the temperature's at 110~120 degrees farenheit when it should be at the 80s or 90s.

i put arctic silver compound on the heatsink and got it on my
athlon 64 2800+

any suggestionis???

i have 4 fans . two exhaus two inhale

it's on default setting, no overclocking yet... not yet...

mother board temperature's at the 80s and the cpus at the 110s

err.. actually that temp isn't exactly bad. Probably a very average temp for that chip. What hsf are you using, and are you putting the correct amount of as on there? too much can crimp the amount of heat disipation and too little.. obviously won't work, has to literally be almost a paper thin layer, as most of us would suggest using a credit card or something of the sort, i've always used a peice of paper, folded it and slid it across to make it all even and thin. But that temp isn't anything to worry about (43c-48c) is avg.

as most of us would suggest using a credit card or something of the sort, i've always used a peice of paper, folded it and slid it across to make it all even and thin. But that temp isn't anything to worry about (43c-48c) is avg.

okay.. i had a problem putting as on my heatysink because i couldn't get it evenly throughout the whole chip and didn't know what thickness it was.

but at the temperature of 48 c you can't really overclock it well. i got this cool fan because people said it would lower your cpu down to like the 80s and it isn't really working good. does it mean that my arctic silver ain't working really good right now???

also, would increasing voltage help the temperature???

Well it also depends a lot on ambient temps.. my room temp is usually around 78f and my chip idles at about 50c now (because of summer). so yea my chip gets really hot, but i'm not worried about it. You probably need to take the hsf off and check the as again, as you said you weren't sure about the thickness etc... you literally need a paper thin layer and give it like 4-7 days to be sure, after that the temp won't drop any.. but do try applying the as again, gl geo

Your temps are not bad....I have a P4 2.8 and it is not OCed. I have the Swiftech MXC478 (very good) and a great fan...my idle temps are about 45C....that is average.....by the way, increasing the voltage will make your cpu hotter. that is why it gets hotter when you OC, ie, you have to increase the voltage to OC very much. My case temp is around 85-90F, so I would get that down, it would help alot....same applies to your setup. Also realize that the better your fan is on you cpu, the higher your case temp will go. For example, mine went up 5-8F after replacing the stock cooling. THat is because the new fan sucks more air, making less flow past it and out of the case. I had a vantec torando for awhile...85 cfm but too loud...and it made my case temp jump 10F!! But it make the cpu cooler from 60C to 35C...lol. But, still too loud!!! Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom