What's the point?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reggie_da_man

Fully Optimized
What's the point of a ram divider? Why not just keep the RAM and CPU in a 1:1 ratio. If your CPU can finish all it's work in a fast time frame but your ram is still working in some cases wouldn't that slow the computer down?

It's pretty obvious isn't it...not all RAM can hit ridiculous high speeds and especially in my case when you have a low multiplier, if I wanna go past 2.7Ghz I'd be hard pressed to get memory that'd go past 300HTT

Yea, I've been meaning to change my sig. I had to re-format because I screwed up a driver installation and I never re-installed photoshop. I have it clocked @2.4GHz. 2.7GHz was to much voltage and the ram was majorly bottlenecking. But what I mean is why set the CPU so high and risk frying it when your ram is just going to sloooow everyting down?

Well it's not a bottleneck exactly...I mean if you were comparing 2.4GHz with 240HTT to 2.7Ghz with 240HTT the faster clock frequency would still perform faster regardless of memory bandwidth as you're getting more instructions done through the core...but of course 2.7GHz with 270HTT would perform better than a 240HTT

Similarily a CPU can "bottleneck" a CPU considering a faster CPU will generally put out a few more frames...but the GPU is going to operate roughly the same regardless of CPU speed so it isn't exactly a bottleneck or a noticable one at that

Basically a divider is put in place to remove bottlenecks...without it your CPU would be limited by how high your RAM could maintain the same HTT and in most cases you wouldn't be seeing very good results at all

the faster clock frequency would still perform faster regardless of memory bandwidth as you're getting more instructions done through the core

But doesn't the memory have to read and write, and if it's only doing that at a certain lower speed than the cpu wouldn't the cpu just have to wait for the ram to finish and then move on to the next process?

The HTT link would have to slow down to wait for the memory which results in slower memory bandwidth that might have some bearing on performance...but what I'm saying is 3GHz is still going to process stuff once it gets through the memory bandwidth faster than 2GHz

Another example...all AMD64s have 200HTT speeds but the 3000+ is 1GHz slower than the FX-57...the FX-57 is still much much more powerful because is has more raw processing power regardless of memory bandwidth...and what I'm saying is of course more memory bandwidth = better but that said high clock frequencies = better regardless of memory bandwidth...6.4GB/sec flat transfer rate is already fast enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom