Whats the difference 939 - AM2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayvon

In Runtime
Whats the difference between a 939 AMD 4800 vs a AM2 AMD 4800 ?

Is it just socket sizes or what performance difference do you get?

Which is better?

there is apparently a very slight performance advantage to AM2. in my humble opinion if you think your next upgrade will be a full system upgrade i.e. buying a new pc, then you may as well stick to s939. if however you think you are likely to just upgrade your processor along the way AM2 will be the only choice. there is not a particularly great difference between the two.

The main difference is, S939 uses DDR RAM, and AM2 uses DDR2 RAM.

That's the only difference I can see...

what about the sockets? from what i understand a AM2 is a socket 940, so that means that it has one more pin than a 939, so i been thinkin that theoretically a 939 would work with a AM2, but ive already heard people say no. what makes it so the 939 wont work on an AM2?

o yea, dosent am2 have higher fsb?

DDR2 and the fact that 939 will stop soon. Support for Quad Core processors, and most newer products, and last time I read anything the DDR3 sticks may, MAY be backwards compatable with the DDR2 slots, just not the processors... Another rumor I have heard is theres going to be a socket AM3 which will have full support for DDR3 and will work with AM2 motherboards. Not sure if it is true, as I have said, it is rumor.

bmxfreakrider said:
what about the sockets? from what i understand a AM2 is a socket 940, so that means that it has one more pin than a 939, so i been thinkin that theoretically a 939 would work with a AM2, but ive already heard people say no. what makes it so the 939 wont work on an AM2?

o yea, dosent am2 have higher fsb?

different pin location, so no it will not work

Hmm so alot of things in the future will be AM2 and have better ram? If so how much better is the ram compared to 939's ram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom