What you'd recommend for cost-effective cooling... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default What you'd recommend for cost-effective cooling...

I'm looking for a way to cool the GPU on this system a bit better.

I'm one who "hates' the fan noise, so I have the controller for the three 80mm case fans (intake on front, intake on side, exhaust on rear, as well as the 8800's second bay exhaust). A side note, I keep the ambient temperature at 72º ± 3º F (22.2ºC).

My CPU/case temperatures are in the 40º - 45º C range all the time, which is just dandy. But the GPU runs 68º - 75º C, and as soon as it hits 72º C the fan kicks on hyper-speed...it's obnoxiously loud... :freak:

I noticed just opening the case up, it dropped 4º C...so I guess maybe increasing the intake a bit? Right now, the fans are just standard Thermaltake $3 fans, and honestly, when they're at full-blast with my hand in front, I don't feel much air...although sticking my hand against one, it was indeed fast enough to slice skin.

So I guess what I'm asking is if firstly, you'd agree that just increasing the air flow would help a fair amount, and if so, what replacement fans you'd suggest. I have a fan controller for the three-prong fans, so I can slow 'em down if they're a bit noisy at max speed, but they need to pull some air. Nothing fancy - I don't do the disco stuff in my case...

Secondly, beyond replacing the fans with something else, would there be any other simple things to do? I'm a complete novice in this area, as might be obvious, so all recommendations are welcome!

Danke.

Old 07-13-2007, 05:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default Re: What you'd recommend for cost-effective cooling...

Hello,

Once way to lower temperatures is by using good thermal compound between interfaces and heatsinks.

Arctic Silver 5 is effective at ensuring good thermal tranfer, and can help lower temperatures.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post
Hello,

Once way to lower temperatures is by using good thermal compound between interfaces and heatsinks.

Arctic Silver 5 is effective at ensuring good thermal tranfer, and can help lower temperatures.
Wouldn't this be hard to apply / work with on the graphics card? I'd be afraid to [attempt to] remove anything from it without knowing a bit more...and I think that'd void any warranty, but I guess those don't matter.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

Depends. On some graphics cards, the heatsink is actually glued onto the GPU using adhesive thermal paste (nasty stuff if you ask me). However, it's not common on more expensive graphics cards and you can clean and apply fresh thermal interface material the same way you do with a CPU and heatsink. Also, I wouldn't worry about your warranty should be alright.

Other ways to decrease noise and temperature levels is by using larger fans. Using a PSU with a larger fan (such as a 12cm fan on the base) is an effective way of moving a large volume of air with less decibels.

Arctic Cooling
have excellent heatsink and fans for the case, CPU and GPU which are both quite and shift a good amount of air. If you go to the right places, you can find good prices.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 07-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Interesting.

Yep, the fans were the first thing to come to mind, although not a new PSU if I can help it. The slots on the case can hold 120mm if I remember right...I was just amazed when I stuck my hand in front of these 80mm's - how loud they were yet near no air was moving!

A picture of the graphics card on Newegg. Another.

It looks possible, although scary to tamper with...
Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 AM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to kobe24

yeah i put as5 on my gtx and it dropped 5c
6800gs ultra
1.5gb ddr400 oem
120gb hdd

The Techies' Bible
Old 07-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobe24 View Post
yeah i put as5 on my gtx and it dropped 5c
Was there any trouble gettin' the heat spreader / fan off?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

As mentioned before applying new thermal compound is a great way to go. Getting the heat sink off and on a gpu if just as easy, if not easier because you can hold it in one hand, than a CPU's. Larger fans at lower RPM's make for more air flow at reduced noise. You can also go all out with a new GPU cooler like this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835109136 . You wont need it unless your running at GTX thats being overclocked to the max though, or you can get it to impress the ladies.
Another simple step is cable management, bundles of cables will hamper airflow and raise the ambient temp noticeably.
www.rapidts.com
Old 07-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/

I ordered a tube of MX-1 for my GPU. If my GPU Folding it working correctly, my load went from 88-90 to 63.

My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 07-18-2007, 12:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Very nice drop. You should of made a work log with pictures for questions just like this. However I should of invested in google when it was $15 a share =P

www.rapidts.com
Closed Thread