What should i be getting ? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 06:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Send a message via MSN to Oreo
Default Re: What should i be getting ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phucng_10 View Post
That's a yes. I don't think anyone can get there CPU to 15c unless they live in the Antarctica region, lol. Then it'll be like -10c.
Why would the Bios lie. Its like 20ish degrees on a stock cooler, with one case fan and no thermal paste.

Soon it'll be on AS5 with a Arctic Cooler Pro 7, and 2 case fans. So it'' probably drop to 18 at the least, likely 15 or 16, heck i had it running at 18 in the winter on stock cooling, goes to around 28-30 under very heavy load.

Still confused lmao, i'll figure it

Old 07-17-2007, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via MSN to Vaanish

Okay the Freezer 7 Pro may knock 5 degrees of people who have 40deg temps, but knocking 5 degrees off 40 is much easier than knocking 5 degrees of 20, if you get me.

Anyway, I guess it is a faulty sensor.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

the bios on my abit nf4 ultra board lied all the time about my brisbane temps.
was idleing at 50*, lol...i dont think so.
i havent found an accurate windows utility YET. my evga 590 reads it right, tho.
not sayin that yours is lyin, but it does happen, you know what im sayin?
Old 07-18-2007, 06:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

I put it in my dads asus mobo, its the same. Well actually its 21 degrees idle in his. But his case is poor.

Yes i understand what you mean about getting it from 20 is 15 though.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by K M A N View Post
Why would the Bios lie. Its like 20ish degrees on a stock cooler, with one case fan and no thermal paste.

Soon it'll be on AS5 with a Arctic Cooler Pro 7, and 2 case fans. So it'' probably drop to 18 at the least, likely 15 or 16, heck i had it running at 18 in the winter on stock cooling, goes to around 28-30 under very heavy load.

Still confused lmao, i'll figure it
getting a better cooler does not automatically mean the temperature will be lower all the time. It depends on a number of factors, including the temperature of the surrounding air, and the amount of heat the processor is generating.

1) in reality, there is no such thing as "cold" in the physical sense. there is only amount or absence of heat
2) Also, any item at a certain temperature is always emitting (or transferring) heat to its surroundings at a rate proportionally to the temperature it is at.
3) But at the same time, the surrounding air or other materials are also emitting or transferring heat back to the said item (eg the heatsink)

The way a heatsink cools the CPU is by transferring the heat from the CPU and into the air
However, since the air is also transferring heat back to the heatsink, the only way it will be getting cooler is if the temperature of the air is lower than the heatsink (refer to 2 and 3), and thus doesn't transfer as much heat to the heatsink as the heatsink transfers to the air

If the air and the heatsink are at equal temperatures, there will be no net cooling. The air and the heatsink will be transferring the same amount of heat to each other.

This means that the heatsink cannot be of a lower temperature than its surroundings (air)

However, when the CPU is processing, it is always generating heat which is being transfered into the heatsink. This means the heatsink is almost always going to be at least a little above room temperature.

A better heatsink will be able to transfer more heat to its surroundings in a given amount of time (this is measured in Watts, which is the amount of Joules per second transferred).

Generally, the way heatsinks are made more efficient is by increasing their surface area

With more air contacting the heatsink, there is more air to transfer the heat into.

However, because heat is being transferred to the air, the air heats up. That's why fans help. they are supposed to move cooler air onto the heatsink to replace the air that was heated up by the heatsink.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #16 (permalink)
-Deactivated-

Ok, but just in general without getting scientific. A good cooler will lower the temps by a satisfactory amount.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
Hellfire!

Send a message via MSN to Wildside

wow Apokalipse, how do u know about heatsinks so much?

*open mouth hanging after read*
--EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5
--ASUS Crosshair IV Hero AM4 X370 Motherboard
--WD BLACK SERIES WD2003FZEX 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" HDD
--SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" 250GB SATA 6Gb/s SSD
--Corsair Obsidian 750D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
--Corsair Professional Series 860-Watt AX860
Old 07-18-2007, 11:44 PM   #18 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

he knows a lot about physics.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagasama View Post
he knows a lot about physics.
yay nagasama's on!!

getting a better cooler does not automatically mean the temperature will be lower all the time. It depends on a number of factors, including the temperature of the surrounding air, and the amount of heat the processor is generating.

1) in reality, there is no such thing as "cold" in the physical sense. there is only amount or absence of heat
2) Also, any item at a certain temperature is always emitting (or transferring) heat to its surroundings at a rate proportionally to the temperature it is at.
3) But at the same time, the surrounding air or other materials are also emitting or transferring heat back to the said item (eg the heatsink)

The way a heatsink cools the CPU is by transferring the heat from the CPU and into the air
However, since the air is also transferring heat back to the heatsink, the only way it will be getting cooler is if the temperature of the air is lower than the heatsink (refer to 2 and 3), and thus doesn't transfer as much heat to the heatsink as the heatsink transfers to the air

If the air and the heatsink are at equal temperatures, there will be no net cooling. The air and the heatsink will be transferring the same amount of heat to each other.

This means that the heatsink cannot be of a lower temperature than its surroundings (air)

However, when the CPU is processing, it is always generating heat which is being transfered into the heatsink. This means the heatsink is almost always going to be at least a little above room temperature.

A better heatsink will be able to transfer more heat to its surroundings in a given amount of time (this is measured in Watts, which is the amount of Joules per second transferred).

Generally, the way heatsinks are made more efficient is by increasing their surface area

With more air contacting the heatsink, there is more air to transfer the heat into.

However, because heat is being transferred to the air, the air heats up. That's why fans help. they are supposed to move cooler air onto the heatsink to replace the air that was heated up by the heatsink.

.... dang.... ur smart... but it seems feasible
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-19-2007, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Uber Sanoob Techie

Send a message via AIM to san21893

Think of it as a picture in your head and its alot more simple.

Also, about o/c, does having looser RAM timings allow you to o/c ure cpu more? So basically, do you need to underclock your RAM?