What is the quietest computer case made?? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2005, 02:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Quote:
Originally posted by Him
What about home theatre systems? Every decible of sound there counts!
If you have the money to put in a home theatre system, you got the money to spend some on that quiet computer case. I would definetely get it to run my home theatre system!

Old 06-25-2005, 07:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

the Antec Sonata is a very quiet case

Old 08-01-2005, 11:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I have narrowed it down to antec sonata II, antec pb180 in black, antec tx 1050B. I have used many antec cases and like the build. I can't say I have ever seen or heard in person any others. In this price line does anyone have any others to put in my search.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

You can get noise dampening material. It attaches to the inside of yours panels, around your entire case. It does, however, raise temperatures substantially, so that is a sacrifice you are going to have to make. Or you could just build a semi good water rig in there and use totally passive cooling everywhere else.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

I have a black sonata case with 380w psu, not sure if its sonata II though....looks exactly the same.....it still has noticeable noise. That p180 got a good review, I think its about $134 on newegg:

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/...view/index.htm
2GB KINGSTON
EVGA 6800GS PCI-E
ASUS P5GD1
WD CAVIAR X2
LG DVD BURNER X2
Old 08-01-2005, 12:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

What he has to realize that it is not the case that is the determinite factor of noise, but the components inside it. The more fans you have, the more noise. More components, more noise. If you have fans with smaller vent holes, more noise. The bigger the vent holes, the quieter. If noise is a huge issue with you, you have to get a completely passive water cooled system (NO fans, not even on the heatercore, though I think you always need a fan on that, unless you get a monstercoresrex from Weapon)
Old 08-01-2005, 04:15 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I do realize this. Are all cases created equal? I think not. IF I would put the exact same components in two different cases, the one designed to be quieter would be quieter. I understand all the other stuff. I just want to know which ones start out quieter?. If you don't believe that than that's your problem.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #18 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Man, I wasnt trying to offend, please dont take it that way. There may be a difference, yes, but a miniscule one in the noise spectrum. You would barely be able to hear the difference.

I'm just telling you that if noise ius a factor, than simply just getting a quiter computer case wouldnt really work for you. You would need to start to implement passive cooling and do other things to drown out noise. No need to get so confrontational.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

So you are saying that a p180 is not really any quieter than say an antec 1600??
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 PM   #20 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

ingeborgdot he is correct. The case is mostly irrelevant in the noise issues associated with a computer. I don't think you're going to find a case designed to be more silent than most other cases. To reduce your noise you should be selecting components designed for low noise emmisions. the parts you should be looking at is the power supply, the CPU heatsink fan, and the case fans. If you have a video card that has a fan on it, consider replacing it with a video card that uses passive cooling. You don't need water cooling to reduce your noise levels. You should be able to acheive your results without spending a fortune. Thermaltake and a lot of other companies make fans that are near silent. read up on the product reviews on newegg.com to figure out which products to choose.

Closed Thread