What are the problems with overclocking? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Re: Re: What are the problems with overclocking?

Originally posted by Silesia
I'll start off in saying that I will not honor the warranty if some overclock their PCs.
I agree with everything Silesia had to say ... Just wanted to ask ..is this ur personal policy at ur store or somethin'...

'Coz as far as i know ..Intel n' AMD both replace fried processor's under thier warranties...

I have replaced so many processor which were fried when i tried o/c'ing them a bit too high ...

Or b'coz of some dumba$$ customer who cleaned out the heatsink compound as he though it was dirt accumalated

Screenshots of my Desktop.....Post ur\'s too :D

AMD AthlonXP3000+@ 2.2GHz, Cooler Master Aero 7+, Gigabyte 7NNXP , 1GB Kingston HyperX PC3200 Dual Channel , MSI FX5600 VTDR 256 ,Pinnacle PCTV , 120+120GB Barracuda , Liteon 52x CDRW , Samsung DVDROM , Benq DW1620 16x DVD ReWriter, Phillips 21\" TV,Samsung Syncmaster 763MB,Logitech Cordless MX DUO , Thermaltake Silent PurePower 480W Butterfly Series PSU, Win XP SP2,RH9.
Creative DDTS100 Decoder, Creative Inspire TD7700 7.1 Speakers

Search TF B4 u post { Thanks for this one! Emily :) }
<form action=\"http://www.theriddlehouse.com/random/tfsearch.php\"><input type=\"text\" name=\"search\"><input type=\"submit\" name=\"submit\" value=\"Search!\"></form>
Old 04-19-2004, 10:12 AM   #12 (permalink)
Imperial Space Womble
Default Re: Re: Re: What are the problems with overclocking?

Originally posted by preet2u
I agree with everything Silesia had to say ... Just wanted to ask ..is this ur personal policy at ur store or somethin'...
Mainly the my professional (store) policy there.

Personally, if you know what you are doing and you are read the except the risks of over clocking, go for it. I am not going to stop any one.

Professionally, I really don't have time to deal with people's studity and risk taking. I get parts coming back, and if the disty or manufacture is not going to honor the warranty, then that does leave me at a bit of a pickle.
Normally what happens is that I have the disty saying :-
"There is burnt parts here" or "Jumpers have been changed"
And then i have the end user saying :-
"I have done any thing"
And in the end, I am up for the delivery charge to and from the disty ($10 each way) and well as a charge for a non-warranty service (between $30 and $80) as they don't like there time getting wasted. 9 times out of 10, I can talk myself out of these ones.
And with a bit of luck, I can try to convince the end use to confess that they did overclock.
But in the end, this normally does waste about 2 hours of my time. Plus another $3 as I normally have to go to the drug store from some head ache tablets.

Now when ever I get some thing coming in, I'm always on the side of the customer as long as they do not BS me around. If the come up to me as say "Hey, I overclocked this motherboard", I then....
1. Will advise them that this is not under warranty, and their might be a charge. This charge is not coming from me, but from the disty.
2. Will advise that I will try to sneak it passed. And if I can do that, then there will be know charge.
3. I know what to look for on the part, and i will try to cover it up.
4. I then know what to expect if I do get a phone call for the disty's RMA department.
I don't get the problem too much from over clockers. I think most over clocker know that if they do blow some thing up, they will have difficulties getting RMA status.
How ever I do get this problem from alot for people with notebooks that split coffee on the keyboard.

At the end of the day, I would rather that the end user walk away happy. Because the problem with the end user (especially the dumb ones) is that they will hold the grudge against you, as appose the the disty. Have seen that happen many times where you loose a good customer JUST because disty has sead NO to a warranty claim.

Now if the manufacturer is going to replace a fried componant, GREAT. That make me happy. I will honor the warranty.
But it rare that I see that from the manufacturers or disties.

Main Rig - AMD FX-8350x8 4.0Ghz CPU, 4x 8Gb (32Gb) DDR3 Ram, Gigabyte GA-970A-D3, GeForce GT 970 4Gb, 1x 256Gb SSD\8Tb (3+2+2+1) SATA HDD, DVDRW, SB X-Fi, Win 10 (64-bit)
Asus N61JV-JX231V - Intel Core i5 3437u (1.9 - 2.4 GHz), 12GB, 640GB, 16" Display, nVidia 325M 1Gb, DVD-RW, Win 10 (64-bit)
Mobile Phone : Samsung Galaxy 5 Note SM-N920IConsole : Play Station 4
Closed Thread