What is overclocking ?

danpeter645

Solid State Member
Hello to all..
I am New in here and i want to start with the simple things..

What is overclocking and its benefits ?

Obviously i've searched Google for this..But the things described a bit large to understand.. need some short and sweet kind of thing..

Thanks

Simply put, it's increasing the clock frequency (MHz, GHz, etc.) of a CPU (or GPU) passed what it is at advertised.

For example,

A stock CPU at 3.0GHz. Depending on the CPU in question, and several other factors, you can overclock it. Now this can be anywhere from 3.01 GHz (a 0.01 GHz overclock) to maybe 4GHz (a 1GHz overclock). Like I said, other factors contribute to how much you can OC (chip model, chip type, manufacturing, voltage, cooling, etc.). But in a nutshell... that's what is.

You can also OC GPU's (core and memory) and RAM. Usually CPU's/RAM are OC'd in the systems BIOS, whereas GPU's are OC'd via Windows through software.

Bottom line, don't try until you have a more firm understanding of what exactly you're asking.

This should have been at the top of your Google list and it's quite simplified.
Overclocking Guide - What Is Overclocking?

I like the article date lol. The info in it still stands, I was just confused at first at why they kept mentioning such old hardware... until I looked at said article date.

JANUARY 2, 1997

Back
Top Bottom