What does lapped mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lapping = sanding down to get a surface as even as possible

you can either lap the base of a heatsink and/or the top of a cpu chip (the heat-spreader) to have better contact, which means better heat transferal and dissipation. This means cooler temperatures that make an overclocked processor more stable, it's done by computer enthusiasts looking for increased performance, and is not really something that anybody in the mainstream would have done

Thanks, that make sense. What type of tool is required to lap?
I got some sand paper in the garage:D

First off, dont sand/lap the bottom of a water-block. Many of the newest are intentionally bowed meaning the base is ever so slightly convex.

This help provide a better contact area in the exact center of the cpu.

Sanding this ruins the waterblock and will hurt your temps.

In regards to air coolers. most if not all have a very smooth factory base.

If anything you are going to see the most improvement in lapping your processor itself.

This is not for the faint of heart in any way shape or form and WILL void any and all warranties on the processor.

In order to lap a processor you will need varying grits of sandpaper ranging from about 800-2000 grit and up.

When sanding use the wet sanding method and sand on a certifiably flat surface. I.e. a sheet of picture frame glass.

Go through all the grits in a simple up down sanding method and you will eventually get to the point where you will have exposed and sanded smooth the copper in the top of the processor.

Voila, lapped cpu.

Thanks for the info. I don't think I'll attempt it, but at least I now know what people are talking about.
Thanks

Lapping is the term used to describe the process of smoothening and flattening out the bottom of a heatsink. There are lap kits for sale that help this process.

when i lapped my cpu i didnt use water, it was wet/dry sand paper but i read mixed openions of using water while lapping cpu. mine still came out with a mirror finish w/ only 1000 grit

pic:
lappvs6.jpg

Dont lap until after you have at least tested your cpu/cooler. I lapped my stuff because i was getting really crappy temps on 2 out of 4 cores, which meant that my cpu/heatsink werent making good contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom