what is the best cpu for playing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whut he said...Micro always has great info

seems like all the cpu's are fast as sheet these days...but a bottleneck would make how fast/and type unimportant - i'd consider what type of video card primarily, then other stuff...

imho, they all seem really fast to me these days... AMDs I personally like just 'cause I've been a longtime fan - but they do run kinda hot but it's easy to keep under control

personallllllllly i see it right now as.. if its over 1.7ghz, thats a good enough speed.

but gaming, you really need lots of memory, and a good graphics, card.
so yes its not just the processor,

how i see intel, yes they got there 800 fsb and there 3.2ghz processor, for gaming, its not nescessary, the software at the momment does not require that type of speed. i only see a 3.2ghz processor good for rendering animations or compiling things. thats about it. so id say any processor around the 1.7 - 2.0 is good for gaming.

but hell, thats just my opinion.
decides amds cheaper, and yes it has problems sometimes but i find it fun to figure it out and fix it :)

not all 2.4 and above have 800 fsb, some have 533, get above 2.66 I believe all have 800 fsb.

Originally posted by Ken Masters:
What Intel chip has a 800 Mhz FSB? Itanium?

Actually the Pentium 4 has an 800MHz FSB and 533MHz FSB.

The only Pentium 4's with a 800mhz frontbus have hyper-threading.

The type of chip to buy depends on the type of gamer you are...

If your looking for the best performance out there then I'd go with the p4 3.2 ghz special edition or the Athlon 64 FX-51.

If your looking for something that's maybe a less inexpensive but still runs extremely well, go with either the Pentium 4 3.0 ghz or the Athlon 3200+ XP.

Ok, this list could go on for a while so I'll break it down for you...Unless you are looking to speed up your computer to speeds you can't even notice the difference with, go with something around a 2.0ghz +. I personally recommend Intel.

Trebor: Not all above 2.66 ghz have a 800mhz FSB. Like I said above, only those with hyper-threading have a 800mhz FSB.

spfd: The Athlon 64 doesn't really support many applications or even an operating system, but people still buy it :).

Anyways, hope this helps you out :).

i have An AMD Athlon 2500+ 333 fsb with 512mb of 333 ram, and it works pretty well with games. although, while playing the max payne 2 demo, if i play the dean man walking mode it slows down ALOT when i have god on and there are like 20 guys shooting at you. but other than that(i may need more ram to get rid of that) the games i play run fine(i play AA, bf1942 secret weapons, NFS underground)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom