Well, it is almost done... - Page 16 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2010, 02:07 AM   #151 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Curious, what's that black thing at the bottom covering up the PSU wires? I think I wanna get some that for my case :3
__________________

c0rr0sive is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #152 (permalink)
Grand Tinker
 
cq842000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 346
Send a message via Yahoo to cq842000
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0rr0sive View Post
Curious, what's that black thing at the bottom covering up the PSU wires? I think I wanna get some that for my case :3
It's actually just non-slip rubber for truck side steps, that I got from home depot. I measured, added, sprayed, and conformed it to the wiring harness box that came with the case. I also added it to the HDD space to cover my tracks there as well.
__________________

__________________
...Unda..Bestia...
MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | Swiftech/EK/Feser Liquid Cooling | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2000 DDR3 | 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 (core 1ghz/memory 1.5ghz) + GTX 460 for PhysX
| 2x WD 640 GB 7200rpm HDDs | Antec True Power Quattro 1200w + Antec True Power Quattro 1000w |

cq842000 is offline  
Old 10-10-2010, 07:26 PM   #153 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Interesting.... For some reason I wanna get something like that in my case to cover some things...
c0rr0sive is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 03:46 AM   #154 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cq842000 View Post
I'm actually glad to hear that, as I got them to please my eyes. I do appreciate your input though. It will be that much easier to modify the loop once I get the chipset and mosfets on water, and with the fittings I have enough room to pull out the res/pumps without having excessive tubing like you brought to my attention before. I assure you there is a method to my madness friend...

I hear the criticisms from you and for that I thank you, but no positives or encouragement for the things I did do right. Is there nothing about my rig that your even remotely fond of? Or are you always too correct to congratulate someone else?

Also, to address the need for compression fittings or the lack thereof.... The purpose of this rig is "overkill" and "excess", so "more than what was actually needed" was always the vision I had with this rig. Soon it will be complete, unique, and spanking serious tail....
Pardon me for coming across as hating everything about it, as that isn't the case. I used to like the flashy overkill blue everything look, but I guess I kinda got bored with it and moved onto more industrial and understated styling. It certainly is one **** of a rig, and props for getting it the way you wanted it, but it just isn't a look I myself am fond of.

My loops have always been the epitome of minimalism. I used as short of tubing runs as I could, namely because when I first used the Tygon A-60-G tubing (Which nobody had ever used before in a water cooling loop), I received it as a sample from Saint-Gobain and only got 5 feet of it. I made the most of it and since then haven't really changed a thing. So as it stands, My entire cpu/gpu loop uses just under 6 feet of tubing and that's just the way I like it.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 02:31 PM   #155 (permalink)
Grand Tinker
 
cq842000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 346
Send a message via Yahoo to cq842000
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire View Post
Pardon me for coming across as hating everything about it, as that isn't the case. I used to like the flashy overkill blue everything look, but I guess I kinda got bored with it and moved onto more industrial and understated styling. It certainly is one **** of a rig, and props for getting it the way you wanted it, but it just isn't a look I myself am fond of.

My loops have always been the epitome of minimalism. I used as short of tubing runs as I could, namely because when I first used the Tygon A-60-G tubing (Which nobody had ever used before in a water cooling loop), I received it as a sample from Saint-Gobain and only got 5 feet of it. I made the most of it and since then haven't really changed a thing. So as it stands, My entire cpu/gpu loop uses just under 6 feet of tubing and that's just the way I like it.
No problem man, and I do encourage the opinions of others to be expressed, but nobody likes to get **** on in their own thread. I appreciate your feedback, and I have incorporated some of your advice. The good news is that the loop tubing total is 8 1/2 feet...so not too bad considering the pumps are rated for 10 feet a piece. I'm less of a minimalist when it comes to the message I want my rig to portray. I have a minimalist laptop and it turns no heads for looks or for performance. In any event, thanks for the input and for clearing things up for me.
__________________
...Unda..Bestia...
MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | Swiftech/EK/Feser Liquid Cooling | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2000 DDR3 | 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 (core 1ghz/memory 1.5ghz) + GTX 460 for PhysX
| 2x WD 640 GB 7200rpm HDDs | Antec True Power Quattro 1200w + Antec True Power Quattro 1000w |

cq842000 is offline  
Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM   #156 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru
 
aspire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 5,308
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cq842000 View Post
No problem man, and I do encourage the opinions of others to be expressed, but nobody likes to get **** on in their own thread. I appreciate your feedback, and I have incorporated some of your advice. The good news is that the loop tubing total is 8 1/2 feet...so not too bad considering the pumps are rated for 10 feet a piece. I'm less of a minimalist when it comes to the message I want my rig to portray. I have a minimalist laptop with and it turns no heads for looks or for performance. In any event, thanks for the input and for clearing things up for me.
I think part of my exasperation with loops these days is how (honestly) everything is form over function. Considering we made do just fine without pump dress up kits, chrome cpu blocks, gold/silver plated fittings... I could literally go on and on.

After being a member on XS for a number of years and seeing people drop hundreds on fittings alone, I just became a little disgusted with the direction water cooling was moving.

Also, I'm a pessimist.
__________________
If I help you with something, you think I'm the bomb, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the star under my post.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
aspire is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 07:57 AM   #157 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

I agree with what Aspire is saying. I think the fittings make the loop to over done and un-needed when straight tubes could have gotten the job done. I think the rubber stuff covering the cables looks fantastic though.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 10-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #158 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: asdf
Posts: 8,885
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

If they are "quick disconnect" fittings, I could see my self using them, but not in the middle of runs, probably at the end of a rad or res, just to make flushing easier...

Speaking of that... I need to flush mine, stupid fluid is starting to grow... And the tubes need replaced if the flush dont work out right.
c0rr0sive is offline  
Old 10-14-2010, 01:08 AM   #159 (permalink)
Grand Tinker
 
cq842000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 346
Send a message via Yahoo to cq842000
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PP Mguire View Post
I agree with what Aspire is saying. I think the fittings make the loop to over done and un-needed when straight tubes could have gotten the job done. I think the rubber stuff covering the cables looks fantastic though.
Hey much appreciated guys. I never had an issue with his opinions, just the posture of his arguments. I sensed a slant to his wording due to my lack of insight, and I was incorrect... no harm done. I do however want the loop and the rig to look "overdone" so to speak. I have seen alot worse, and I have definitely seen people that had more fittings and links than tubing.
__________________
...Unda..Bestia...
MountainMods Ascension | EVGA X58 4xSLI Classified | Intel Core i7 980X | Swiftech/EK/Feser Liquid Cooling | 12 GB G.Skill Ripjaw 2000 DDR3 | 2x Sapphire Radeon HD6990 (core 1ghz/memory 1.5ghz) + GTX 460 for PhysX
| 2x WD 640 GB 7200rpm HDDs | Antec True Power Quattro 1200w + Antec True Power Quattro 1000w |

cq842000 is offline  
Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 AM   #160 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default Re: Well, it is almost done...

Well yea i have seen a few more over done rigs to but they kinda....fit. In their own way of course. To me, this just looks a bit odd but by all means man if you enjoy it then kudos. It doesnt matter what we think, only what YOU think. I mean i had a total of 3 tubes in my last loop so im not really one to talk because im such a minimalist with water cooling.
__________________

__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.