Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumber4578

In Runtime
I OC my athon 3000 to a 3200. After I overclocked it my programs load much slower at start up. After the start up programs are loaded it flies. It seems to take a couple of minutes to load what used to take a couple of seconds.

Possible heat issue, or not enough voltage.

How did you test stability so far? Always test for stability b4 you try to do anything with programs and the like.

Prime 95 - It's a memory test program.

You need to provide more details. We don't even know if it's an Athlon XP or Athlon 64. Give us system specs.

Ryan

athon XP 300+ Barton Core. ASUS mobo (A7 something E-Deluxe ? There best slot A board) I'm running about 40 degrees. FBS 209 Multiplier 11. Could it just be a F'd up windows? I have a XP upgrade from 98. It's a bootleg copy so I don't have any service packs.

Uh yah, from 98 to XP is not really a "smooth" process, it's better just to reformat and get a real version of XP.

It's also illegal, nice going, hope the feds don't troll this site too often.

If the PC was mine, I'd reformat it, and do a fresh install of XP. This ill get ri of any possible problems that you had during the upgrade process, even if you weren't aware of any. There are too many differences.

EX: Windows 9x uses a FAT16 or FAT32 format on your harddrive, this is somewhat archaic today and has a very unorganized/wastefull storage file system structure.

Windows XP uses NTFS (along with a newer version of NTFS), slightly newer and alot more organized, better security, etc.

You can't simply switch from a FAT partition to an NTFS one. I know the "upgrade" makes it seem like you can, but it's definetly not recommended even my Microsoft. Format in NTFS and install XP.

Also, when installing a new OS, never be overclocked/tweaked in anyway. This can really screw up th install. Wait until it' all said and done, then overclock again.

EDIT: Google.com is nice. - http://www.majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

you're right! google rocks. And I'm also fond of majorgeeks for my geekyman programs that I love so very much.

Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom