Waterproof computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodonebales

In Runtime
Alright, this is purely hypothetical, because I'm not even dreaming of doing this. But in another thread, someone was asking about homebrew watercooling. Here's my questions...would it somehow be possible to completely waterproof your entire system, and then submerge it in water? Or fill the case with water? Once again, I'm not gonna try, I just think it's an awesome idea.

I saw some pictures about a year ago of a guy who completely submerged his computer in cooking oil with an air tight case.

Cooking oil works better since it can better absorb more heat and let it off, even the water would get a bit toasty after awhile.

I saw some pictures about a year ago of a guy who completely submerged his computer in cooking oil with an air tight case.

Cooking oil works better since it can better absorb more heat and let it off, even the water would get a bit toasty after awhile.

I dont think it was cooking oil, I think it has to be some certain type, too lazy to google it right now :p

Vegetable oil works because it does not conduct electricity. Mineral oil works better because it will not go bad. This isn't a very logical way to cool your everyday computer, though.

uh, cooking oil?
thats the stupidest s*** i have ever heard in my life. almost. i've heard some pretty stupid s***, and that is right up at the top of the list.
wasnt there some guy with a post about putting ice in saran wrap to cool the cpu or gpu? that is just under submerging your rig in cooking oil on the ladder of stupid s***.

uh, cooking oil?
thats the stupidest s*** i have ever heard in my life. almost. i've heard some pretty stupid s***, and that is right up at the top of the list.
wasnt there some guy with a post about putting ice in saran wrap to cool the cpu or gpu? that is just under submerging your rig in cooking oil on the ladder of stupid s***.

It's not that dumb. All components are completely safe (except your PSU) and it creates a fanless system (except PSU). There are no side effects from it and sure makes for a good conversation piece.

i suppose your right..
"nice fry-daddy!"
"nah, that's my killer rig".
i guess it would help if you were frying shrimp or something and ran out of oil.
saves a trip to the store!
whatever, i say. to each his own and to own is his.

I think it'd be pretty sweet, except every time you want to upgrade a part or something it's be a real pain in the butt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom