watercooling for a C2D rig - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default watercooling for a C2D rig

just what the title says, I'm looking into buying a water cooling loop for me E6400. I was just wondering what has worked well for you guys.

BTW I want to spend as little as possible without getting a crap product and I don't need a GPU waterblock either, just CPU.

so with that said...let me know what you think

4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Sapphire x1950 Pro 512mb (w/ V700)
250GB, 500GB and 1.5TB Seagate Barracudas (2.25TB total)
Fatal1ty XtremeGamer sound card *** generic TV tuner
Xclio 3060 case *** HannsG 22" monitor
XP Pro / Ubuntu 7.10 *** Razer Copperhead and Tarantula
Old 04-24-2007, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Self Proclaimed Immortal

Send a message via AIM to hmammen Send a message via MSN to hmammen Send a message via Yahoo to hmammen
Default Re: watercooling for a C2D rig

Either of these two will do you fine- I prefer danger den over swiftech, but both are great for the price.
Danger Den :: Water Cooling Kits :: Configured Kits and Specials :: MAZE4 Power Kit

Petra's Tech Shop

Posted from my Nexus7
Old 04-25-2007, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

dang...that's WAY more than I'm looking to spend right now. I'm hoping for something decent in the $50-$100 range.
Like this:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER AQUAGATE VIVA RL-M4A-E7E1-GP Liquid Cooling System - Retail
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-W0065 Liquid Cooling System - Retail
Newegg.com - Thermaltake CL-W0020 CPU Liquid Cooling - Retail
(looking for something simple and cheap like these that won't leak or just plain suck)

I know that it's not wise to cut corners with parts (especially this kind of thing) but I cannot afford to spend that much money. Three months from now I might look for something like that if I don't get some cheap loop by then.

Thanks a lot anyways hmammen, I'll keep those two loops in mind if I decide to wait it out and put out a decent amount of cash for this.

If anyone can give some suggestions on something similiar to what I linked above that'd be great.
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Old 04-25-2007, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

WARNING!!!! Stay away from Thermaltake. The only thing that Thermaltake is good for is their cases and the Big Typhoon, everything else is garbage. I had a Thermaltake liquid cooling system, had a whole bunch of problems with it, the pump was really loud and crappy, it doesn't cool to well, and when i finally RMA'ed the pump they sent me a new one that died within a week and then the loop popped and it spilled crap all over my parts. so needless to say my computer isn't in the best shape.

Fun stuff eh...DON"T CUT CORNERS!! That was a 7900gs and it also partialy melted my PCI-e slot.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggie_da_man View Post
WARNING!!!! Stay away from Thermaltake. The only thing that Thermaltake is good for is their cases and the Big Typhoon, everything else is garbage. I had a Thermaltake liquid cooling system, had a whole bunch of problems with it, the pump was really loud and crappy, it doesn't cool to well, and when i finally RMA'ed the pump they sent me a new one that died within a week and then the loop popped and it spilled crap all over my parts. so needless to say my computer isn't in the best shape.

Fun stuff eh...DON"T CUT CORNERS!! That was a 7900gs and it also partialy melted my PCI-e slot.
yeah, well thanks for the advice...I'm definately not willing to risk my semi-new rig. This the the kind of advice I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

If somebody has used something similiar and would recommend it then please let me know.
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Old 04-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

dude get an GOOD air cooler, it will serve you better than a cheap a$$ water-cooling rig, and has little or no maintenence.
plus, you dotn have to worry about your components ending up like reggie's (man, that really sucks).
Old 04-27-2007, 07:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
Lord Techie

it's a matter of simple math:
processor= $200-$500
motherboard= $100-$200 (maybe more)
memory= $200ish
video card= $300-$500
cheap water cooling= $100ish (i'm talking Australian dollars and random figures here )

add it all together and you have a net worth of zero when everything goes wrong.

thermaltake watercooling is known for both it's horrible record of leaks (though mostly due to a flaw in the original "Bigwater" and human error) but more importantly for only being about as effective as their topend air cooling, the Big Typhoon.

myself i am partial to Swiftech's blocks because i like Cathar's designs. the Storm is a great block for multi-cored processors.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

yeah, I've got a pretty dang nice air setup right now...250mm (yes it's huge) on side of case and a 120mm in front for intake and 120mm in back for exhaust plus an Artic Cooling CPU HSF...anyways with my E6400 @ 3.4Ghz I can keep it at ~35C idle...I'm just looking into other options in case I decide to OC further (hopefully to 4Ghz) later down the road.

From what you guys are telling me I'm getting the idea that I should just stick with the air cooling or chip in $150+ for a watercooling loop or else it'll be crap and be worse...so that's probably what I'll be doing, for now at least...I should be getting a decent cashflow going this summer.
4GB DDR2-1000 G.Skill
Old 04-28-2007, 02:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

i say that with your airflow you are probably getting the best oc possible out of your chip. watercooling, to me, is a way to reduce the heat resulting from adding high voltage to your rig.
with the conroes, super high voltage is not going to give you comprable results. so, yes...stick with the air cooler.