Nah, some of the oils I have been looking at are only about 18 bucks per gallon. Once you have your loop and its sealed with no air it will be a maintenance free system.
1.Like I have said before Oil on its own will never be as good as water
2."Pure" water will only conduct very very small amounts of electricity.
3. It is very hard to keep water pure, and by adding to it or even removing it from a vacuum it is no longer pure. I am not sure what else to say about that.
4. Oil is better that air cooling.
5. Oil can be easier and cheaper to find than you think. All you have to do is look. One place is this "http://www.steoil.com/"
6. Oil will never in a sealed system conduct electricity and can be used as an insulator.
7. Some are very stable and have very very thin viscosity.
8. Mineral oil can be ingested by human and animals, will just give you the squirts!
9. Under normal conditions if you are not looking for a big overclock then oil can be safe easy and maintenace free.
10. If you want to get some bigger overclocks and don't have children or pets running aound. Maybe you have a workshop or a Game Room that you have a key to "What ever" Use water for sure. Change it out often and keep it clean. DI or distilled water is in layman's terms empty. It has lots of room for things to be added or grow (Bacteria/Algae) in it. This is why you need Biocide.
11. Oil on the other hand in order to reach numbers like water alone will need your help. Like maybe adding more than you would water or externaly cooling the oil away from your system so you are sending chilled oil into the loop. I am not sure. I would like to hobby around with oil and see what kind if temps I can get. I have a few ideas. Like one is to use silicone Gel as a moisture absorbant outside the loop to keep the inside on my case nice and dry. As well as using it around the tubing most likely to condensate when chilling. What do I know I am just a Biological Engineering major turned Army Combat Medic. LOL
The point of the post was to bring this subject back to the table and talk about what we could do with it, or if anyone else were interested in looking into oil and even differant setups for water cooling or compressed gas cooling if you like. What ever your reason for coming to this post please do not start with the grammer trolling or you are going to **** me off. Use slang or bad grammer if you like. I do not care, I will assume you can read and write no problem or will politely ask you what you meant without asking what planet you are from. You start with the grammer trolling and I will lay into you with a vengence and make you look stupid. So please stop it. Lets keep it friendly. Otherwise anything goes here as far as cooling your PC.