Water or Oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belzybub

Baseband Member
Most common coolant is water.
Very pure deionized water, due to its relatively low electrical conductivity. You can get the best from TVA. (Tennessee Valley Authority) I worked for them for years before I joined the Army and they have on-site DI water. We made it. Has to be used in boilers to make steam. You could use Heavy Water but I doubt you can get ahold of much if any. (Thats a joke by the way.) Water is usually used with additives like corrosion inhibitors and antifreezes. Good ones are ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol, or propylene glycol. Ethylene is common in the Auto industry and can be found in any auto parts store.

Second is Oils.
Oils can be used where water is unsuitable like around electrical devices. Oils have a higher boiling point than water so oil can be raised to higher temps. 100 degrees Celsius is the boiling point for water. You do not want to introduce high pressures within the container or loop of your system so this would be a reason to use oil as well. Mineral oils, Castor oil and Silicone oils can be both coolants and lubricants a in closed-loop systems for heating or cooling. I do not recommend Caster Oil as it is a vegetable oil and comes from the Caster Bean. This could possibly cause gunk in your loop. So don't use it. Mineral Oils are byproducts that are made from petroleum and depending on the viscosity can be great for a cooling system. You do not want a Non- Newtonian fluid as the viscosity can change or get thicker rather as they warm. A constant viscosity over a wide range of temp is the type you are looking for these are called Newtonian Fluids. As you turn you PC on and off or Overclock from normal you will see temp changes you need a constant viscosity to be effective. Mineral oil is going to be the best bet because it does not absorb water. (No white milkyness in your system). It doesn't conduct electricity and also makes a great personal lubricant...:eek: Oil and water are both better than air cooling alone. Plus oil is good for your pump, safe for you and your PC. You can even mix in some UV dye. So to be safe and sure for normal operation or overclocking use an oil!
Remember to alway use a vented system when using water and be safe!

For super overclocking usea liquid gas! VERY DANGEROUS! You could loose a hand or worse, but you can get world record numbers! Is it worth the risk? Well that another post. lol

Good place to get you oil! STE Oil Company**|**White Mineral Oil & Spraying Equipment they have an 800 number and a shopping cart! lol

P.S. Remember this oil will never match water in thermal conductivity and specific heat capacity, but it is much safer and is still far better than air. Although, this could be corrected with a larger Rad., Res. and head pressure on your pump than you would use with water. Giving the oil more time to shed heat. There is alot you could do to improve your oil cooling. I would like to hear your ideas.

what is this supposed to be?? a question or what??

just use distilled water and biocide... it will be electrically non-conductive and will have much better thermal conductivity... and its not unsafe at all...

oils are far too viscous for use in WC, as they wont achieve a flow rate high enough to allow them to match the heat removal ability of water... also, a high boiling point wont matter at all, because you wont be imparting enough energy (through the CPU) to increase the coolant to its boiling point

and, liquid gas??? how can it be a liquid and a gas at the same time? i think you're refering to phase change cooling, by which you absorb energy through a refrigerant (normally simple hydrocarbons like R507, R14 or R1150) by evaporating it using the heat dissipated by the CPU (which brings the die temps down to near the refrigerant's boiling point)

All the current water cooling pumps on the market will not be able to effectively pump any form of oil.

All the current water cooling pumps on the market will not be able to effectively pump any form of oil.

I am sure the laing industrial pumps you are fond of will move a very thin mineral oil with any problem at great PSI and Head. Seeing as how todays mineral oil viscosity can be extrememly low and stable. I will find one late for you.

what is this supposed to be?? a question or what??

just use distilled water and biocide... it will be electrically non-conductive and will have much better thermal conductivity... and its not unsafe at all...

oils are far too viscous for use in WC, as they wont achieve a flow rate high enough to allow them to match the heat removal ability of water... also, a high boiling point wont matter at all, because you wont be imparting enough energy (through the CPU) to increase the coolant to its boiling point

and, liquid gas??? how can it be a liquid and a gas at the same time? i think you're refering to phase change cooling, by which you absorb energy through a refrigerant (normally simple hydrocarbons like R507, R14 or R1150) by evaporating it using the heat dissipated by the CPU (which brings the die temps down to near the refrigerant's boiling point)

I will answer your question with a question.

What happens to a Gas when placed under preasure?

Next distilled water is a very good conductor of electricity. DI water is better but will still fry your *** if you through juice to it. Biocide or not.( Biocide: A biocide is a chemical substance capable of killing living organisms) Not an insulator at all my friend or a lub.

it can become either a liquid or a solid depending on the chemical and the amount of pressure. it's the way you phrased it that threw it off. like a liquid solid. something can't be a liquid if its also a solid. get it?

I will answer your question with a question.

What happens to a Gas when placed under preasure?

depending on the amount of pressure, it either becomes a liquid or a solid, or simply increases in density... if it does, indeed, change state, its no longer a gas... as such, its not a "liquid gas"

Next distilled water is a very good conductor of electricity. DI water is better but will still fry your *** if you through juice to it. Biocide or not.( Biocide: A biocide is a chemical substance capable of killing living organisms) Not an insulator at all my friend or a lub.

ummmmmmm... what planet are you on?!?!? wait a minute... it doesnt really matter, because no matter where you are, distilled water is absolutely pure (for a certain amount of time, at least) and pure water is non-conductive... just whack a couple drops of this (Petra's Tech Shop) in the loop and you'll have no problem

and really... just leak test your setup before you hook it up and you wont have an issue

depending on the amount of pressure, it either becomes a liquid or a solid, or simply increases in density... if it does, indeed, change state, its no longer a gas... as such, its not a "liquid gas"

ummmmmmm... what planet are you on?!?!? wait a minute... it doesnt really matter, because no matter where you are, distilled water is absolutely pure (for a certain amount of time, at least) and pure water is non-conductive... just whack a couple drops of this (Petra's Tech Shop) in the loop and you'll have no problem

and really... just leak test your setup before you hook it up and you wont have an issue
Take a 9volt battery and do you own test sir. You can and will close a circuit loop with DI or distilled water. Period... You can change the way it conducts or the amount but you can never stop it. WATER IS NOT AN INSULATOR! Yep Biocide is safe. See warning! DO NOT INGEST! AVOID CONTACT WITH EYES AND SKIN! KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN AND PETS! Besides do you own a clean room or a lab? Very pure water is a poor conductor, but its is only very poor. Not non-conductive. Then anytime you add anything to the water like Biocide it is what? Not pure. Why would you need Biocide in a sealed system? You would need one to keep the water as pure as you are looking for. Not practical sir. Not at all.

it can become either a liquid or a solid depending on the chemical and the amount of pressure. it's the way you phrased it that threw it off. like a liquid solid. something can't be a liquid if its also a solid. get it?
When one says both states of a substance at the same time, you refer to the natural state of that substance and un-natural state. Liquid gas would mean that its natural state is a gas and when compressed becomes a liquid compress even more a solid or Metal if you will. Take Saturn for example at the planets core and above with lighter gases. The pressure is so great the gas becomes a solid. Liquid gas is a compressed gas held under pressure by an outside force that will rapidly return to its natural state when released. Thus causing freezing temps.

Liquid gas is debateable as you get LPG liquid petroleum gas This is because the pressurised container is not a uniform pressure thus some parts are liquid and some are gas. Water is a molecule that when put under extreme pressure such as the bottom of a glaciar turns back into liquid so although its chilled to -50C it is still in liquid form.

The pressures needed would not be effective home system and the compact version is called phase changing where liquid is compressed then turned into a gas which returns to the compressor. This then adds the risk of condensation on the board which could shortcircuit it if contaminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom