Water Cooling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgcook

Fully Optimized
Sadly, the only thing I wouldn't change, is the rad and the CPU Block, those are awesome! The GPU block you picked is a BIG no-no. ESPECIALLY since you're going to buy the Ultra 8800. With that block you're cooling the GPU, and that's it. What about the high heat generating memory or voltage regulators? Not cooling those is just going to bring your temps higher up. Take a look at these: Koolance 8800 GTX/Ultra Block and DD 8800 Block

Your system specs look amazing, it pains me to see you skimp out on some of the cooling options :(

Give me a budget, and I'll give you the best system you could get. I honestly though, would consider buying the DD or Koolance 8800GTX block as they are full board coolers and will cool everything on the 8800.

For your system I would recomend a good $400 if you want optimal cooling. However, I could get you a good set-up for probably around 300.

Edit: Oh, and some good ol' Yate Loons would be fine for your needs. I suggest the high speeds, but the medium will give you a better performance to noise ratio. The Evercool series Aluminum fans also look pretty badass, and would look cool against some LEDs.

Sadly, the only thing I wouldn't change, is the rad and the CPU Block, those are awesome!
The Black Ice radiators are better than most, but not the best. The Thermochill radiators are the best performing ones, especially with lower speed fans.

Although in the US, they cost much more.
Strangely, in Australia, we can get the Thermochill radiators cheaper than Black Ice GTX's, and they perform better.

Although GTX's are designed for high speed fans. The difference will get smaller the faster the fans are.

With that block you're cooling the GPU, and that's it.
Which is why you need some extra RAMsinks, and MOSFET sinks (Swiftech sell these). And if you have a GTS (not a GTX or Ultra), you need a HSI heatsink aswell.

The GPU block you picked is a BIG no-no. ESPECIALLY since you're going to buy the Ultra 8800. With that block you're cooling the GPU, and that's it. What about the high heat generating memory or voltage regulators? Not cooling those is just going to bring your temps higher up. Take a look at these: Koolance 8800 GTX/Ultra Block and DD 8800 Block

This kit hast everything for cooling the rest of the 8800 components
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech MC8800 SMC RAM/MOSFET/IO Heatsinks *Requires A GPU Water Block for Complete Cooling* - MC8800-SET In Canada.

Personally, I don't like the all in 1 waterblocks like the DD and koolance...they just don't perform ANYWHERE near what a MCW60 or Dtek Fuzion can do.

I have an MCW60, and I'm buying some sinks to go with it.

My watercooling is currently out of my case. It needed cleaning.
And, I'm trying to sell the two 120mm Black Ice radiators (Extreme and GTX), and replace them with a Thermochill PA120.3 (for 3x120mm fans), which performs much better with low speed fans.

And I'm also waiting on the Lian-Li PC-A70 to come out in Australia (still isn't here yet :mad:), so that I can start modding it and then using it.

For the moment, my 8800 GTS 320MB card is running with a Thermalright HR-03 Plus (idles at 44, maxes out at 61), and my CPU is running with a Thermaltake Sonic Tower (I have an Apogee GT for it, which I was using before I needed to clean my watercooling system)

Sadly, the only thing I wouldn't change, is the rad and the CPU Block, those are awesome! The GPU block you picked is a BIG no-no. ESPECIALLY since you're going to buy the Ultra 8800. With that block you're cooling the GPU, and that's it. What about the high heat generating memory or voltage regulators? Not cooling those is just going to bring your temps higher up. Take a look at these: Koolance 8800 GTX/Ultra Block and DD 8800 Block

Your system specs look amazing, it pains me to see you skimp out on some of the cooling options :(

Give me a budget, and I'll give you the best system you could get. I honestly though, would consider buying the DD or Koolance 8800GTX block as they are full board coolers and will cool everything on the 8800.

For your system I would recomend a good $400 if you want optimal cooling. However, I could get you a good set-up for probably around 300.

Edit: Oh, and some good ol' Yate Loons would be fine for your needs. I suggest the high speeds, but the medium will give you a better performance to noise ratio. The Evercool series Aluminum fans also look pretty badass, and would look cool against some LEDs.

honestly that is why i made the thread. to get some ideas going. cause i have no clue what is good and what isnt. because i DONT want to cheap out on this.

budget is really unlimited. i will say between 300-400. because i will prob. be piecing it together over a period of time. so i can buy stuff here and there as money comes.

i've been reading the pump i listed is a REALLY good pump. but im sure there is better. but i figured it would be good enough.

make me out a list of stuff, and we'll go from there :)

I am going to give you a good $400 system, 1/2" ID tubings/fittings

Well, for the pump I would definetly go with DD's Variable speed. It's very powerful, and nearly silent when you want it to be. And extremely powerful with a slight noise that can only be heard with the case open, and super high flow. DD12V D5 Variable Speed

For the CPU water block, I'd say that if you want that Apogee GTX then go for it, I hear nothing but good about it. Swiftech Apogeeâ„¢ GTX CPU Waterblock

For the GPU block, I personally think the koolance one looks a bit better in general, but in my soon-to-be black interior case, the DD one will look sweet. I've also heard that the DangerDen one works better to cool it's surroundings, while the Koolance one does an OK job. They're both SLI compatible, and both do the job. DD's will run you a bit more, but I think the added performance is well worth it. Koolance's DD's

If you want a Northbridge block, go for it. But most chipsets come with highly intricate heat syncs and such, such as the Asus Striker Extreme, so I see no reason to add one. I'm not to knowledgeable in this area since I've never WCed my chipset.

The resivior doesn;t really affect performance, pick whatever you like best in this case. However, some people prefer the drive bay format so they can see the water level right in front of them, plus, it just looks cool ;) DangerDen's 5.25" single bay res comes predrilled for 2x LEDs so you can see the level. They also sell a version about 20 bucks cheaper that's just a cheapy old High Density Polyerthane model. They all get the job done.

All that's left is the radiator. This is where quality is critical, since this is where you rid yourself of the heat. Thermochills are pretty good, but very expensive. I'd prefer getting a BlackIce GTX or even the Pro version (X-Flow though). Pro's are cheaper, by a lot and the GTX is only a bit more efficient. I myself would get any of the 240's, because 1 fan is no where near enough, and 3 fans is too much, i'd have no where to put it.

Coolant is also important, as it's your means of heat transfer. Nothing with glycerol base will do the trick, nearly as well as just plain distilled water. I like the MCT-5, it's non conductive, doesn't stink, and won't stain the tubing. But really anything will do, as long as it's a good non-conductive and non-glycerol based. UV reactive ones are cool if you have a UV light. Generally anything under $20 a bottle (32 oz.) isn't worth your time.

I'm sure you can handle your own thermal paste -cough AS5 cough- and tubing. Make sure to order some tubing clamps. I always put two clamps per connection for added security ^^. Also, pay attention to fitting size, this set up is all 1/2" ID (Inner Diameter), I've seena lot of people screw up and have to send stuff back ;)

You put two clamps on each connection?

What kind of clamps do you use man?, I dont think two of my clamps would even come close to fitting.

From experience, worm drive clamps are a. the more expensive kind and b. the most secure clamping method available.

Regarding the pump the standard D5 is fine, I have the model with the variable speed and I never turn it down. Going for the non variable will save you like 15 bucks.

For the gpu block look at either danger den or ek offerings

northbridge coolign is a no-no, theres no point and it just adds restriction to your loop.

Radiator wise, go for a swiftech mcr-220 or the danger den black ice gt 240

Regarding a reservoir, either go with a t-line or a traditional reservoir. A t-line uses a T shaped fitting with a capped length of tubing attached to the vertical end to hold water in.

From what I've seen the best water block for quad cores is the D-TEK Fuzion

Most of this stuff is available at Petra's Tech Shop Danger Den Community Website - Home and the place to go for tubing is Tygon Tubing

I use the Tygon A-60-G 1/2" I.D. 5/8" O.D.

Its virtually maintenance free, its affordable, and its black.

For your average loop, you'll probly need about 7-8 feet just to be on the safe side.

CPU Water Block Round Up APOGEE GT/GTX vs. STORM vs. FuZion vs. APOGEE vanilla - HardwareCanucks

D-Tek Fusion or Apogee GTX - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Everything points towards the Fuzion.

It seems that the only time the GTX gives it a run for its money is when you add an o-ring to the inside of the block which causes the base to bow outwards.

Also theres the issue with the top of the GTX block being plated aluminum. Multiple metals in a loop together, I.E. aluminum and copper will react with each other and cause galvanic corrosion. For the average user it means that if he scratches the inside of the block, say when hes screwing in the barbs, and theres exposed aluminum the two metals would essentially cause each other to disintegrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom