Water Cooling Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.

-[ZoU]-Kronos

Baseband Member
Ok, my specs are as below and im hoping to get my processor up to atleast 4 ghz with decent temps.... so im looking into water cooling and im not too much into building a custom one or dealing with cluttering my already cluttered case with a internal kit. So with that info, i came up with these kits and was hoping to get some input if their any good.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-111&depa=0

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-040&depa=0

http://www.xoxide.com/koolance-exos-2-black.html

In all honesty, it'd be much better, both for performance and for price, to build your own custom system.

It'll seem a bit intimidating at first (trust me I've been there), but once you've done your homework and you have a pretty good grasp on the concept you'll wonder why you ever considered a thermaltake or whatever else.

Basically, you'll need:

Pump
Radiator
Waterblocks
Reservoir/T-Line
Tubing

Most of your parts you'll probably be getting from dangerden so check them out first and do a bit reading.

Depending on what you wanna cool, you'll need to appropriate waterblocks. The CPU block you'll want the TDX block, and if you wanna cool your GPU as well (I recommend it, results are amazing), you'll wanna look into a MAZE4 block.

Pump is pretty important as it keeps water moving. There's a lot of debate over the AquaXtreme 50z and the Swiftech MCP650, both are pretty much the same and it doesn't particularily matter, comes down to personal preference basically.

You'll want 1/2" Tubing and fittings for higher waterflow.

Reservoir isn't neccasary, but it makes it easier for you to fill/bleed the system so I'd recommend it, as well as it means you don't have the same liquid running through as often. I feel that acrylic reservoirs are a bit risky as they can crack and leak pretty easily, this will not leak and I'd say go with it. If space is an issue, you can use a T-Line with a DD fillport, but they are harder to fill/bleed than a reservoir.

Radiator is another important part, rather than buying a radiator from DD or anywhere else, Weapon of XS mods a car radiator to handle 2*120mm and seems to be favoured there. Contact him for details, they run around $80-90. You'll also wanna pair it with 38mm thick fans for increased airflow.

Coolant, you'll want a mixture of 90% distilled water and 10% zerex. This stuff won't conduct electricity, won't rust, and will keep junk from building up in your system. There have been people who have had this coolant leak, cleaned up their systems, and still had them run.

And I think that's about all, anything missed in here go ahead and shoot.

Using a danger den and fillport is really easy, and I've come the conclusion that most people even recommend it.

My friend who has that cube system I linked to you the other day gaara (just tell me if you didn't see it and I'll link it again), his reservoir leaked =/ he doesn't even know where the crack is as of yet, but he saw liquid drooling down the front port of his computer. T-line+danger den fill port = easy filling, but yes the bleeding does take a bit longer.

For me the weapon core after shipping was $88, but of course shipping all depends on where you live.

Unpainted = $65.50
Painted = $75

My friend who has that cube system I linked to you the other day gaara (just tell me if you didn't see it and I'll link it again), his reservoir leaked =/ he doesn't even know where the crack is as of yet, but he saw liquid drooling down the front port of his computer. T-line+danger den fill port = easy filling, but yes the bleeding does take a bit longer.
That's really the only concern I have, I doubt anything else would leak unless the tubing got cut but I think I'd notice that anyways. I like that reservoir just cause it's one piece and isn't some cheap plastic, and they've basically guranteed it won't crack or leak.

It'll be right below my optical drives anyways so the worst that would happen would be it would get into my hard drives, which I would prefer to something like the motherboard or video card or something.

well, im new to water cooling so i dont really want to build one just yet. just like my first computer wasn't built by me until i get a clear understanding on how they work. i guess my basic question was if i could hit 4.0 ghz with my proc with one of those.... oh also its a prescott core.

Hmm, maybe, prescotts get so dang hot, but really every system is different so it's hard to give you a definite as to what it'll OC to.

Water cooling isn't like building a computer though. It's really simple actually.

You get the main parts which gaara and I can help you out with, then theres certain precautions you gotta take. Like making sure you do a leaktest.....which you'd have to do with a prebuilt system anyway.

Also compared to those kits you posted you'd get much better performance out of a custom built.

Indeed, if you get down to it, building and setting up a custom WC setup is exactly the same as a prebuilt one, you assemble them both pretty much the same way, the only difference is the prebuilt comes in a nice package so it seems more appealing to those who don't know what to do.

I absolutely gurantee you you'll be much more pleased with the results of a custom built setup than going out and buying a package. Nubius can vouch for this too. :D

Almost ordered my Maze4 today gaara, but after a fill port, t-line piece, clamps, and 5 feet of tygon tubing I'd be left with only like $20 in my bank account, so I figured I'll wait since I might need cash.....the TDX and D4 should be here tomorrow though :D

I did order some tweakmonster RAM sinks for my video card though ;)

I'm considering getting microsinks for the vid card mosfest just cause I'm anal like that haha

Aren't you a speedy gonzalez. :D

At least now I'll get a chance to see how this stuff delivers before I get mine since you and I are basically getting the same stuff. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom