Water Cooling really necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syphanx

Daemon Poster
Hey guys,
Well here's the scenario,
I am running an Athlon XP 2500+ as my gaming system (I know it's old but games I like to play still run perfectly).
It's currently upgrade to 2.13ghz from 1.86ghz. I want to try and get it to at least 2.3ghz. The temp at idle is about 44C and under maximum load about 55C.
This is of course with the stock AMD HSF (Which is fairly poor), good air case cooling (Thermaltake Soprano) and stock thermal paste (not the good stuff like Artic Silver).

Now I'm thinking about upgrading the system soon to a 64bit processor new mb etc (still agp though).

Would it be better for me to go with a new HSF (Thermaltake Big Typhoon, which is compatiable for both Socket A and 939, therefore I wouldn't have to spend extra money buying two HSF's when I upgrade).

So would it be worth getting water cooling? Does my system really need it? (take into account the new HSF and thermal paste).

I was just thinking about a kit, like the Thermaltake Bigwater SE or something, not building my own.

Thanks.

Syphanx said:
So would it be worth getting water cooling? Does my system really need it?
Water cooling is great if you are planning on Overclocking Lots with out the noise factors of fans.

If you go water cooling go with an external kit. I have a custom built internal kit and its a pain in the ass. I am able to OC my P4 2.6 to ~3.2 but maintance on the system is time consuming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom