water cooling questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbar71

Fully Optimized
ok so i got this little kit from newegg ( i know how yall hate kits and such, but for 88 bucks it looks good)

Newegg.com - Swiftech H20-120 COMPACT 120mm Liquid Cooling Kit - Water Cooling

ok so my question is will the apogge drive be enough to power a GPU block and a mcr 220 radiator? i think i am going to do the mod that turns the pump from the mcp350 to the mcp355.

and what is a good GPU block?

is this any good?

XSPC Razor Nvidia 9800GTX Full Coverage VGA Water Block Products Model: XSPC-GPU-9800GTX [XSPC-GPU-9800GTX] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

or would it be better to get something like this and some memory heatsinks?

D-TEK FuZion v2 Extreme Performance CPU Block Products Model: FZ-V2CPU [FZ-GFX2] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come

35bawb8.jpg

The single 120mm MCR rad in the kit will not be able to handle anything more than just the gpu.

However things are not as bad as they could have been. The pump/cpu block in the kit features the base of the DDC pump and you can buy any DDC top to work with it and make it just a pump. Modding it is also a good idea.

Then go out and pick up either this Petra's Tech Shop or the OCZ Hydroflow cpu block.

That full cover gpu block isn't bad, XSPC makes some affordable parts which is great.

Buy this top for the pump, Petra's Tech Shop and this radiator to add to the loop to get some additional heat dissipation. Petra's Tech Shop

Now the kit as is will PROBABLY be able to handle your quad at stock or with a mild overclock. A single 120mm rad just doesn't offer the amount of heat dissipation a GPU/CPU loop demands.

Now, may I interest you in a cup of RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

xggp69.jpg

I hope this post was epic enough for you hefemeister :)

^ lol, nice one.

i agree. the single 120mm rad will not be enough to cool a gpu and cpu, but it should atleast keep my q9300 below 65C right?

and i will be getting a dual 1200mm rad to go with the single 120mm.

swiftech makes good stuff right?

also i know i need distilled water for the loop (allready got it) so what can i put in it to make sure no alge or green crap grows in it. can i use some good car anti freeze?

thanks for the help :)

The best loops use a minimum of additives as nothing except for expensive 3m fluids > $100 gallon conducts heat as well as pure water.

My loop uses the same black norprene tubing as the swiftech kit and as a result allows nothing to grow in it.

This is because light cannot enter and therefore, no microbes or algae, both of which need light to survive, can grow.

After looking at the newegg pictures, can you tell me if the barbs on the radiator you have are screwed in or built into the rad, if they are built in then you will be limited to 3/8" ID tubing.

In terms of my loop, I run nothing but distilled, to be on the safe side, a couple drops of Petras PT-Nuke PHN will do just fine.

I can't speak from experience here as I have never owned a quad core, but you should be able to get temps pretty far below 65C (Yikes!) with the single rad, however you will not have nearly as much overclocking headroom and will be limited to just the cpu.

^ i beleve the barbs are solderd on, 3/8" is OK right?

and the q9300 is overclocked to 3.6ghz right now and those are the temps i get under load. this is with a crappy 92mm xzimatek (or however you spell it) heatsink on it.

Tygon R3400 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAE00027

^ that is good tubing right? wont kink up easily?

also that same rad you recomended newegg has it for $35 bucks vs petras.

and this is the mod i was talking about, about half way down the page is what i was talking about.

Swiftech Apogee Drive Water block & Pump Combo Review < does it look good, you ever done it?

^ i beleve the barbs are solderd on, 3/8" is OK right?

and the q9300 is overclocked to 3.6ghz right now and those are the temps i get under load. this is with a crappy 92mm xzimatek (or however you spell it) heatsink on it.

Tygon R3400 3/8in. ID 1/2in. OD Laboratory Tubing # AAE00027

^ that is good tubing right? wont kink up easily?

also that same rad you recomended newegg has it for $35 bucks vs petras.

and this is the mod i was talking about, about half way down the page is what i was talking about.

Swiftech Apogee Drive Water block & Pump Combo Review < does it look good, you ever done it?

Have you considered this, Newegg.com - Swiftech H20-220 Compact CPU Water Cooling Kit - Water Cooling ?

I don't particularly like the R3400, also if You're going to buy tubing you will want the 3.8" ID 5/8" OD to get a better bend radius that is less prone to kinking, there's a reason why swiftech ships all the kits with smart coils, 1/16" walls are terrible for that sort of thing.

^ saw that, but it's a pretty big jump from 88 bucks to 139 :( and the dual 120mm rad is only like 35 bucks.

but a dual 120mm rad will be the next thing i buy!

and where can you buy the tubing that comes with that kit, along with the smart coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom