Water Cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyler1989

Fully Optimized
All my life I've cooled with fans. The noise never bothered me but I'm hearing water cooling is better but I have concerns. What hardware is compatible with it, is it more expensive, what if it leaks and destroys your PC :confused: .

I don't know much about water cooling because I have never been around it, but I'm going to say that the coolant probably does not conduct electricty. Maybe it's oil based like antifreeze. :umm:

^^That's right, for coolant you should use a mixture of 90% distilled water and 10% zerex/antifreeze...distilled water doesn't conduct electricity and zerex will kill any bateria or scum in the coolant to keep it from getting dirty...I personally had my loop leak on my motherboard and was able to clean it with some alcohol and que tips and it works fine to date

I'm sending this to overclocking where you'll get more answers, plus I suggest you read our watercooling sticky...I'm kinda tired now but will answer your questions tomorow

You can use water cooling for anything in your PC really; your cpu, gpu, hdd, nb, ram(i believe?), i think thats it?

though most people just use the CPU, GPU usually

prices range from 150-5000 usually 300 is around the ballpark for most people

IF you dont want it to leak on your computer and die, thats why people do 24 hour leaktests outside of their computer case, then once that passes they put it into the case :)

I don't leaktest for 24 hours...I generally do it for 2-3 hours, although I have done it for 24 before.

As far as maintenance goes, the only thing you need to do is change your water approx every 6 months assuming you've set your loop up right the first time.

This is why a test PSU comes in handy, so you can turn on the pump and get water going through your loop without turning on the computer.

I remember I had set it up, used the test PSU to leaktest it, and sure enough after a few minutes water leaked from one of the CPU barbs onto the back of the video card and then one of the video cards barbs leaked too landing on the back of my sound card.

Cleaned it up with some 99% isopropyl alcohol, made sure it was dry, redid my loop...no leaks and it didn't leak after that and the system still ran.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom