water cooling? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Default water cooling?

is water cooling really good? this may sound like a newbish question but i never hear much about water cooling or liquid coooling what ever u want to call it, but i am looking at buying a water cooling kit for like 100 just a case fan and a cpu water block and pump and back up receiver. does it help that much and is it hard to install it? i am pretty good at getting stuff to work but is this somthing where u need to be a god with computers to do?

IYAOYAS...lol
Old 12-14-2004, 07:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

ive never used a water cooling system before but from what i understand they are a much quieter and better cooling solution for your pc. they are more expensive and take up extra space but well worth it. ive been considering getting a system myself after i upgrade my graphics card first.

2.8 p4 @ 3.15 900fsb, 4 sticks corsair xms cas latency 2-3-3-6 256mb each, leadtek 6800 gt 256mb @ultra speeds, gigabyte ga8ik1100 mobo, nec 3500a 16x dual layer dvd burner, tdk 48x cd burner, wd 74gb raptor hd, windows xp pro sp2, dell 2005fpw 20 inch widescreen lcd monitor
Old 12-14-2004, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Low end water cooling isnt as near as good as high end or even mediocre HSF ( heat sink fans ). I wu9old look at a XP-90 or 97-SI sepending on wat socket u use, and get a more or less silent fan if noise bothers you.
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 12-14-2004, 07:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Volcano 12 heatsink is really good, if you don't have the money to buy liquid. It is not that quiet as water cooling though
Old 12-14-2004, 08:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Id go water cooling if i wasnt so paranoid about ruining my entire computer...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

yeah, i dont need a beastly water cooling kit i just want something alittle more advance than fans,and quieter and better at cooling, thats the way i learn and expand my knowledge on computers. i like to try it rather than never try and know about it.

IYAOYAS...lol
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to 4W4K3

Quote:
Originally posted by æArchOAngelæ
yeah, i dont need a beastly water cooling kit i just want something alittle more advance than fans,and quieter and better at cooling, thats the way i learn and expand my knowledge on computers. i like to try it rather than never try and know about it.
A $100 water cooling kit (manufactured) will be sketchy, not-so-good performance, and probably alot of plastic/aluminum parts. Most likely 3/8 tubing and a weak pump.

If you BUILD a watercooling kit for $100 or under, you will probably still get mediocre hardware and get ~ same performance as a good air cooled machine (which would only cost maybe $60).

For real watercooling advantage/results you generally spend ~$200 (unless of course you find really good sales or discounts) What kit were you looking to buy? There are some that are pretty good, others are simply trash.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Build Guru

get a thermaltake bigwater or AquariusIII

Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-16-2004, 07:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Techie

The Thermaltake Aquarius III is a good low end proformance system. Its a very simple system to set up, if you have a Full Tower case, or a modern Thermaltake Mid-Tower case, along with other cases that offer room.

Im positive that your limited to cooling 3, not exceeding 4 peices of hardware. Witch is'ent that much of a big deal if its your first time, or you cannot simply offered the best.

Im going to get this kit, for the simple fact that i dont want to OC the system im working on alot. Its 150$, witch is a nice price for what it offers. Although room temp will effect this kit alot more then a full cooling system. So with any small kit, make sure your room temp is great.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

any links for a decent water coolin kit for under 150 and easy to install without having to like cut out stuff or removing stuff, i measured and i dont have enough room for majority of the kits

IYAOYAS...lol
Closed Thread