Water cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

180Mhz

In Runtime
ok i wanna build a water cooling system,... but dont wanna spend money. so yes.. i want to "BUILD" it! .... from scratch. of course i will test it on a crappy comp etc. before i put it in my good system.
now a few things i wanna know is:

-for the cpu thermal block would running flexible copper tubing in the windings of the origional (or an oversized)
heatsink work?

-for my rad im planning on using one of those small heater rads from a car theyre about the size of a cd jewel case and the thickness of a vhs so i can make it fit in my case easily... any objections?

-for connecting the rad and thermal block im planning on using plastic surgical tubing.

-for the pump i am planning to use a 12v submersible that i will place in the resivoir what i need to know is, how much LPM (liters per minute) or how fast should i pump the coolant.

-how big should the resivoir be?

-and finnaly should i just use water? or should i mix in some kind of antifreeze for better heat transfer.

any feedback would be apreciated thanks.
also let me note that the reason i am doing this is not just cause im cheap but because i want the challange of the build.

***this is what im stumped on the most***
how shoule i make a cooling block for a hard drive?
i have no clue whatsoever on this

Liquid coolings systems are a risky business to start with. A liquid cooling system bulit by someone other than a company sounds very very risky. Hey, works great for 8 months then it catches a small leak and bam. There goes your PC. I would highly suggest buying this instead of making it. I'm not saying you aren't capable, it's just seems to dangerous with the price of todays components.

Miller is right, If there is just ONE leak your whole system can be ruined, but it is a good idea like you said to test it on an older system.

They sell waterblocks for HDD's: http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/fr...oling/se=HDD Water Blocks/mp=menu_search.html

I don't think you would get good cooling by placing copper pipe through a heatsink, and it is dangerous b/c imagine if you missed a spot while soldering it in. Water Everywhere and right next to your cpu!!!

Just buy a cpu waterblock, 30 bucks isn't going to kill you.

As for the "rad" idea(no pun intended) I think it would work exeptionally well.

You can get everything you need if you want to create a semi-homemade system from www.frozencpu.com

I hear that Anti-freeze can actually be less conductive than plain old water. I also heard that Ionized water works the best. Where you can find that?I have no clue.

Before you go about making your own water system I suggest that you read through some of the reviews and tips at: http://www.overclockers.com/topiclist/index31.asp#WATER COOLING

I hope that helped.

-for my rad im planning on using one of those small heater rads from a car theyre about the size of a cd jewel case and the thickness of a vhs so i can make it fit in my case easily... any objections?

the heater matrix behind the dash i never thought of that cheers 180mhz ill go and get one right a way

180Mhz said:
[-for the cpu thermal block would running flexible copper tubing in the windings of the origional (or an oversized)
heatsink work?
Honestly don't think it would work too great, I think building a cover over the/a heatsink and forcing the water to move through the fins would be a better idea, although a bit more dangerous. Its not as dangerous as direct cooling though, which involves running water directly onto the cpu.

Good idea, most of the homemade watercooling people have been using heat cores, as well as a/c cores. One may not be enough depending on your temps, and how many devices you are cooling. What did you pull yours out of?

-for the pump i am planning to use a 12v submersible that i will place in the resivoir what i need to know is, how much LPM (liters per minute) or how fast should i pump the coolant.

-how big should the resivoir be?
LPM/GPH would depend on how many devices, and how far you are overclocking, so its kind of hard to answer. The bigger the res, the longer it will take the water to stabilize to the temp.

-and finnaly should i just use water? or should i mix in some kind of antifreeze for better heat transfer.
Antifreeze won't help in heat transfer, unless your running so hot that your boiling plain water. You do need to use something to stop corrosion though. Don't use any type of water with minerals, they will attach to everything and reduce cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom