Water cooling. - Page 4 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Overclocking and Modding
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:49 PM   #31 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: Water cooling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
^ way to double post first of all.

Secondly, I'm pretty confused as to what Soft Cooling is...

And finally you cant cool a cpu with just heatpipes... you need something to dissipate the heat.

SoftCooling; Basically it is the practice of utilizing software to take advantage of CPU power saving technologies to minimize energy use. Its done using halt instructions to turn off or put in standby state CPU subparts that aren't being used or by underclocking the CPU.

And for Heat Pipes
For use in computers, the heat sink on the CPU is attached to a larger radiator heat sink. Both heat sinks are hollow as is the atachment between them, creating one large heat pipe that transfers heat from the CPU to the radiator, which is then cooled. But, This method is one of the most expensive and usually used when space is tight.

by the way i am using Liquid Cooling

Old 03-07-2008, 11:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to Luke Send a message via MSN to Luke

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXxexpertxXx View Post
Some of them are loud. Louder usually = better.

Well, the changing pahse can produce temperatures reaching around −30 degrees Celsius. The gas flows down to the compressor and the cycle begins over again.i This way, the processor can be cooled to temperatures ranging from −15 to −100!! degrees Celsius, depending on the load, type and speed of the processor and the refrigeration system.
and please note that this type of system suffers from a number of issues but mainly one must be concerned with dewpoint and proper insulation of all sub-ambient surfaces must be done otherwise the pipes will sweat dripping water on sensitive electronics. Which isn't good! lol

Their are many different ways of cooling your computer. Some i can think of.

Passive heat sink cooling
Active heat sink cooling

Peltier cooling or thermoelectric cooling
Water cooling
Heat pipe
Phase-change cooling (the one we are talking about)
liquid nitrogen
Soft cooling

There are many ways.
I'm glad for any help u can offer concerning water cooling but i didn't ask for a list of type's of cooling.

Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #33 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by commandercup View Post
how the heck did you get up to phase cooling from tecs?! phase costs like 800+!?

TECs go for 100-500 ??
i didn't make the leap because they are in a similar price bracket, rather than if you are willing to do something as extreme as peltier cooling then perhaps phase cooling would be better suited for you. there are reasons why most overclockers don't employ TECs for permanent use.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:50 PM   #34 (permalink)
cuPWNED

Send a message via AIM to commandercup Send a message via MSN to commandercup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestick View Post
i didn't make the leap because they are in a similar price bracket, rather than if you are willing to do something as extreme as peltier cooling then perhaps phase cooling would be better suited for you. there are reasons why most overclockers don't employ TECs for permanent use.
i see your point, but I still disagree

phase cooling is much more extreme then some simple TEC's

TEC's aren't used because they are unstable and prone to causing major problems with power...

Phases aren't used much because they are so complex and have many problems with condensation, insulation etc.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #35 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

Condensation is not a problem solely with phase units. Chilled Water coolers, Tec's, and Phase can all be prone to it.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Old 03-10-2008, 06:38 PM   #36 (permalink)
Biohazardous

maybe we can do a sticky about the suggested hardware for water cooling, and some price ranges, and a few links to good info about starting up.

sorry for thread jack...
Old 03-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Lord Techie

sounds like a good idea, it should also include phase as well. i might not be getting water cooling at the moment but if i have enough money i might replace my ultra-120 extreme with water.
Server: Core i7 920 | 8GB RAM | Intel 240gb 730 SSD Boot | 3 x 2TB WD RED | Fractal R4
Old 03-10-2008, 06:48 PM   #38 (permalink)
Biohazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke992006 View Post
sounds like a good idea, it should also include phase as well. i might not be getting water cooling at the moment but if i have enough money i might replace my ultra-120 extreme with water.
yeah, phase under an "ultra extreme" list or something. That would be really helpful.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:57 PM   #39 (permalink)
Lord Techie

i mgiht not be getting this right away with my new build but i wanted to know if this is all the things i need and if they are good quality.

Pump and reservoir: NCIX.com - Buy Thermaltake AquaBay M5 Alarm System Water Temperature & Level Display with Pump & Reservoir - CL-W0103 In Canada.

radiator:
NCIX.com - Buy HW Labs Black Ice GT Stealth 240 Dual 120MM Water Cooling Radiator Black 1/2IN Barbs - DHGT2 In Canada.

Cpu block:
NCIX.com - Buy Swiftech APOGEE GTX LGA775 CPU Water Block 1/2IN Chrome HI-FLOW Barb Fittings - APOGEE-GTX In Canada.

Tubing:
NCIX.com - Buy Masterkleer Pvc Tubing 7/16IN ID 5/9IN OD 10 Feet - TUB-7101-C In Canada.

I will most likely upgrade this system to also cool a gpu,maybe 2, and the mobo chipset.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 AM   #40 (permalink)
The Water Cooling Guru

-No on the thermaltake pump its a piece of crap and only supports 1/4" or 3/8" tubing.

-No on the Apogee GTX, Swiftech pulled a dirpa dir here and decided to make the top out of aluminum and the plating on it is insufficient to protect against galvanic corrosion.

Like I've said before Petra's Tech Shop

Thats what you want. And before you ask, yes they will ship to other countries.

And on a random note, they want twice as much for the darned masterkleer tubing as Petras.

And no, the four items you listed are not all you need.
You need hose clamps, and coolant or an additive.

Thanks!

The Official Tech Forums Water Cooling Informational Guide
Closed Thread