wanting to overclock my E6420

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake64_009

In Runtime
Hi there. I finished building my PC 2 days ago. Specs are in my sig.

I want to overclock my CPU and this is my first time oc'ing too.

I have a program which came with my mobo called easytune5. Is this good?

I have already overclocked it to 300mhz from 260 or so. I want to go further but I need some help regarding voltages and how exactly I should go about doing this. I don't want to overclock to the max right now but I want to overclock it enoguh to get to about 2.5ghz or so.

Well i used the easytune 5 first and it tottaly sucked at overclocking but when i went to bios and tweaked around with voltage and fsb i found the sweet spot which was 375 MHz FSB which wasn't that bad but hoping to get a Arctic Freezer Pro 7 to overclock to 3.2-3.3GHz or even higher if i could. Anyways this sums up that BIOS overclocking is the best. Also when overclocking set the voltage up bit by bit and set the system voltage control to auto after changing it.

Ok do I just basically change my fsb then? and voltage? How much do i need to change the voltage by and when.

Yeh stick with bios overclocking, also make sure you have any auto voltage or auto clock options turned OFF in the bios.

Probably the best way is to put the fsb up 5-10 at a time, leaving the voltage at this time, and stress test it with orthos/prime95/superpi each time. Then once you have got to the maximum stable overclock on stock voltage you can start to increase it in small amounts as you further increase the fsb.

You have the same board as me so here's what you do.

Set the DDR2 memory ratio to 2.0 first off to get a 1:1 ratio. Then add +0.4 volts to your DDR2 memory.

Then change the CPU voltage to like 1.38 or something as a start and then just up the FSB to like 400 and try.

i got mine to 333 wihtout a voltage increase...i got it stable at 400fsb with 8x multiplier with a .0375 voltage increase...but i lowered back to 3.0ghz cuz i like my temps at idle(23-26) and load(29-33), plus im using stock voltage at 3.0

Ok thanks guys! I will do some more overclocking tonight. Very helpful tips. Right now at load i am gettign temps in the 20s/low end 30s in quite a high room temperature. I will let you know the results after I have done it.

Ill do what you said sora. Thanks!

actually if my bios is correct i get cpu temps of 20 C. WOW this tuniq is awesome! I won't be able to overclock today so i will do it tomorrow and let you know of the results.

EasyTune has worked well for me. When I was testing for my max OC, what I did was make several large jumps bc I know the board and CPU could take it, so I would do 300, 333, 366, etc, and apply voltage increases if one of those wouldnt boot. Memory is at +.3 volts, ram is at 5-5-5-15 ( you can access ram timings by hitting CTRL+ F1 in the main menu). After I would do large jumps, I would use EasyTune to keep increasing to see if it would still at least work at a certain speed. After getting to 400, I started just increasing everything in easytune, and that helped me find a max OC not only quicker, but most likely higher than I would have found in the BIOS as it's boring going in and changing the FSB by 1 mhz.

Well I have changed the memory ration to 2. I did this by changing soemthing called system memory multiplier to 2. I added +0.3V to the memory and changed CPU voltage to 1.375. I changed the FSB to 360mhz for now. I am noticing some changed which is good. PC is stable for now.

Question. By how much have i reduced the life of my PC and how long will it now last me? I am taking good care of it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom