want to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

memory

Daemon Poster
I have a Intel q6600 and a Gigabyte P35-DS3L mobo. I would like to overclock the cpu to at least 3.0ghz but I have no idea where to start. I don't want to damage anything. Has anybody else overclocked with this combination and could you tell me how you done it? Right now, idle temp is 42 and 48 under load. How much will this rise once I start?

The specs are in my sig.

not all overclocks are the same... thus we can't tell you the exactly temperatures, the best way to get started is to try

check the stickies for more information (guides)

krazyq has the same cpu/mobo combo

but the ram you have is also important

I think part of the problem is I didn't put enough AS5 on my cpu. I need to put more on there and see if that helps. What kind of cooler do you have?

I always heard to put a pea sized amount in the middle of the cpu. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I first turn my pc on, the cpu fan will not start up right away. It takes a few minutes before it keeps on spinning.

I hope I can get these temps lower. I really want to see how much it will help my score in 3dmark06. The first time I got a little over 11,000.

Apparently the dot method is best for single and dual cored CPU's and the line method is best for quad cores.

But it does make since as I saw decreased temps when switching between the two methods.

Okay, I will try the line method and hopefully my temps will come down. Hopefully I do it either tomorrow or the weekend. Seems like to me the line method would be too much.

Could someone explain how I go about overclocking? Do I need to go into the bios? My mobo came with a program called EasyTune5 Pro and it looks like I can overclock it from there without going into the bios.

go into your bios all yu have to do is up your fsb your chip has a multiplier of 9x so calculate what fsb u would need to have 3ghz. try and boot if it doesnt work u boost ur cpu vcore a tincy bit by no more then 0.05 volts at a time. until it boots and is stable.

don't use EasyTune... its terrible, bios oc's are the best because they are stable and directly oc the CPU... when you startup your PC, the OC will be applied, with EasyTune its tied to the program/windows

anyways, overclock until you reach ~70C

amd is wrong... theres no point in not overclocking if you below ~70C... unless you need to use crazy volts (1.6+ since it lowers your CPU's life span by a lot)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom