want to start overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the cpu vcore the same as the cpu voltage control?

What about the ram, could I go ahead and adjust the timings or should I make sure I get the system stable? Right now I am 3.2ghz and I keep getting the BSOD. Each time it does that I up the voltage one more.

One thing I don't understand, I am at 1.29 volts but under Windows, nothing shows that number. It is usually 1.26 at idle and drops to 1.23 when I am stressing it. Why is that?

Right now I am running OCCT and the multiplier keeps going back and forth between 6 and 9x. Why is it doing that? After OCCT is done, I will go check the bios and make sure nothing hasn't changed back.

Is the cpu vcore the same as the cpu voltage control?

What about the ram, could I go ahead and adjust the timings or should I make sure I get the system stable? Right now I am 3.2ghz and I keep getting the BSOD. Each time it does that I up the voltage one more.

One thing I don't understand, I am at 1.29 volts but under Windows, nothing shows that number. It is usually 1.26 at idle and drops to 1.23 when I am stressing it. Why is that?

Right now I am running OCCT and the multiplier keeps going back and forth between 6 and 9x. Why is it doing that? After OCCT is done, I will go check the bios and make sure nothing hasn't changed back.

Just leave the RAM for now. Go back to it once your happy with your CPU overclock.

Most programs cannot report the voltage accuratly.

You were told before to disable C1E and EIST in the BIOS. That will keep the multiplier from switching back and forth.

I already disabled both the C1E and EIST and it still does it. I guess it could have switched back on. When OCCT is done, I will go check that.

Thanks to everybody who has been helping me out, I really appreciate it.

I dont think you listen very well. The reason why the voltage is lower when you set it @ 1.29 and it shows 1.26 is called vdroop. I'm not going to explain it to you. You can google it. Every board has it, some worse than others. Just compensate for it.

Ignore software voltage read outs, all we care about is what you set in CMOS.

vdroop is onl part of it, the rest is software inacuracies.

I have been thinking about getting a different cpu cooler. I just don't like how high my temps are getting. Right now I am at 3.3ghz and 1.31 volts and my cpu temps are starting to get into the low 60's on two of the cores running OCCT and that is with the cpu fan almost running full speed(2300rpm). I keep my room fairly cool too(60F). I would hate to see what my temps would be if my room was 70F. I would like to overclock higher. From all the reviews I have read, I figured my temps would be lower. Should I even be worrying about the temps? If I did buy a new one, which one would be good to get? I wouldn't want to spend more than $50. What is the highest temps my cpu should reach without hurting anything? Sorry if I am being a pain, it's just I would like to have my temps lower that. My system temp is fine, right now it is 38 while running OCCT.

I was using Prime95 for stress testing but it was only using 25% of the cpu. How do I get it to run at 100%? I see screenshots of people using Prime95 and looks like there are 4 things of Prime95 running.

I forgot to mention if I did buy one, I would like the kind that can be put on without removing the motherboard. I really don't want to remove the motherboard and risk messing something up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom