voltages on board

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_gris

Solid State Member
Hey guys,

I was checking the voltages and temps in my BIOS for my new build and I noticed the following
(after playing Metal of honor on max settings)

cpu temp = 50 C
board temp = 37-44 C

12V source = 11.29V
5V source = 5.2V
3V source = 3.06V

I am concerned about the 12V being so low,....will it damage my CPU????

any info would be great

my sys is
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CPU P4/3.0EGHz 800M 478P/1MB HT RT
DDRAM512MB CORSAR64X64 VS512MB400 R
MB VIA PT880 ASROCK P4V88 RAID RTL
DVD+/-RW 16x+|NECND-3520A
VGA|MSI RX9550-TD256 RT
HD 120GB|HITC 7200R 8MB

i dont think it will damage it, but there is a possibility it could randomly shut down here and there because there is not enough power. If that is the stock PSU from you case, you could always grab an aftermarket powersupply (i recommend the thermaltake silent purepower 480w) to pump up that 12V rail. Just work with it for a few weeks, and try to do some benchmarks to see if the rail doesnt hold up. If the rail hold up to 100% cpu use, then you should be fine.

All those rails are low, minus the +5v rail since its' actually showing higher than it should be.

RAM runs of the +3.3v rail I believe so it's not good for that to be low and as AK said it won't damage your CPU it will simply be undervolting it so don't be surprised if stability is an issue.

Unless your BIOS is just reading them horribly wrong you might want to consider a stronger PSU

Thanks guys,

I think it is low, contacting Newegg right now (where I bought the case)

I also notice a lower tone in CPU fan when I run processes.

I appreciate all the help, last time I built a computer (other than now) was 97'. a blazing Cirix 200mhz

A low or high rail can dammage your computer. They are more forgiving now though.

I would doubblecheck your PSU with a multimeter though, as my mobo lies by half a volt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom