Voltage and you

Status
Not open for further replies.

hednik

Baseband Member
OK well my first forray in to ocing has worked out not to bad so far. My mobo was a little fussy at the lower multipliers so I started at x9 worked my way up to 235 HTT with the memory at 166/333. Then x10 then x11 and still stable and running cool at 32c. Ive grasped the concept of most of the adjusting but Im still really confused about voltage and when and how much I need to alter it to get the best, safest and most stable configuration. Ive read alot of the OCing for dummies stuff lol and they talk about adjusting the voltage but none have laid out how much or when you need to do so. Anything you can throw out there would be awesome :)

Yeah it is. Things like this have been happening a lot, I don't know what actually causes it, but an example might be putting the the cmos jumper in the clear position while the PC is running. I don't know if that will do it, but it's an example of the types of things that might do it.

only increase voltage when the overclock is unstable. you can tell if the overclock is unstable by running tests such as prime95. if it fails by giving an error or the system freezes you know that it is unstable. increase the voltage by the lowest increase available and try again. keep in mind each processor family has a max voltage you should look up so that you don't pass it and fry your cpu. i would not take that past 1.6v by choice but it should be safe up as far as 1.7v

Umm 1.7v? On air? I'm sorry but that would not be a good idea (unless it's a 130nm CPU, but even then, it would be risky).

I am currently running at 2.64 ghz at a voltage of 1.408 right now. the ram is clocked at 196 right now and currently stable at 2.75 i ran prime95 and got a error saying "Error: rounding was .5 expected less than .4" I clocked it down on my htt and voltage up one step. From what i am reading with your posts haha maybe im not doing something right? I have ran it at 230 with a multiplier X9 and it has worked work well. From what I have been told the rpocessor shouldn't be that OC friendly so Im a little confused that maybe im doing something wrong. Im running on stock colling but i ditched the fans from the cases. I got 2 pretty nice antec 80mm variable speed fans (better cooling) and a 120mm fan in the back. The cables are all bundled up quite nicely. If you need anymore info ill be happy to provide. Oh btw the temp at 2.75 never got above 41 with prime95, got any suggests between the Zalman and Thermaltake CPU fans around 40$? I dont really want to take my mobo out and rebundled the system :)

You can move the multiplier down, can't you? I mean, it's regular multiplier is 11. This means that he hasn't crept it up to 12 or anything.

Ryan

003 said:
Umm 1.7v? On air? I'm sorry but that would not be a good idea (unless it's a 130nm CPU, but even then, it would be risky).

Why would it be less risky with a 130nm? They do run hotter on the same amount of voltage.

I did 1.8 volts on my CPU :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom