Video underclocking....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubius

Golden Master
Just wondering if anyone has done this...but as most of you know or if you don't know then this question is more for those that do :p then you know that the newer graphics cards when looking at the clock frequencies using a tool like Coolbits or RivaTuner will show you options for Standard 2D and then of course Performance 3D...

My question is...has anyone underclocked their card to the lowest settings it can go for standard 2D specifically for the reason, you really don't even need it at full speed just to be in windows, so why not keep the temperature down, not only on your graphics card, but the air inside your case at that...

My only concern would be the jump it'd make from standard 2D to when you loaded a game. My card is 300/500 in 2D, 425/500 in 3D, that's stock..I have it at 375/545 2D and 500/545 in 3D and the lowest I can set it in 2D is 215, so I'd be worried that perhaps the card after a while of use wouldn't like to make a jump from 215 core speed up to 500.....make sense to anyone else?

Basically does it seem like a worthy idea to underclock the video card for possibly cooler temps, whether in the system or also on your graphics card to keep it's temps down, but anyone think harm will be brought to the card from sitting at a low core speed then cranked up to double that when a game is started?

Thanks all :)

- Nubius

I wouldnt do it, just because over time it could cause significant damage to the card itself. Im not sure if that is correct though.

Also I dont think that underclock would do a great deal to decrease the temperatures as Video cards can take more than their fair share of heat and still survive.

The processor (CPU/GPU) is affected when being exposed to constant (drastic) changes in temperature. Due to the transistors expanding and reducing in size, they are microscopically cracked.

Overtime, the performance of the processor is reduced.

Due to the transistors expanding and reducing in size, they are microscopically cracked.

Overtime, the performance of the processor is reduced.
Yeah that's what I was referring to, the expanding and shrinking of the transistors, this is mainly why I asked if it would be worth it, which I figured it wouldn't be, oh well curiosity ;)

not a bad idea... in fact id be willing to bet money that before 2010 graphics cards will have energy/heat reduction instructions like processors are now getting... you know reducing the clock speed and all that good stuff, when its not being used.... just my premonition

Well then I pose the question, would overclocking the standard 2D to run above normal help the card in the long run, so that way when it goes to performance 3D settings it only jumps slightly further from the 2D point, although this means you'd be running constant temps, in the long run it technically should help it don't ya think :p

im gonna say no, why run too much juice when you dont need, and the card is designed to make that small of a jump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom