Video card not getting enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BxSlipSk8718

In Runtime
I just got a new rig. It uses raid 0, i have a DFI Lanparty mobo, and a Leadtek GeForce 6800GT vid card. My problem is: Whenever i run a graphics intensive game, I get a warning after a few moments saying that my vid card isen't getting enough power, and that it is underclocking my GPU. My PSU has a meter that shows power consumption, and it hasen't gone above 150w (my psu can handle 500 constant). I tried using the adapter that came with the card instead of the cable directly from the PSU... same problem. I then tried unplugging my second (physically third... raid 0) HDD, and my CD drive, and my comp wouldent start. It would freeze at the windows loading screen. Im really stumped here... any suggestions?

Never heard of it..... Possible its having a hard time powering all the gear in your machine because it might have low amps on the 12v rail.... Or there is a broken capacitor on the card lol

Solo PSU

I put the vid card on my old PSU, and i got the same error when it booted... so, im pretty sure the vid card is busted, but i want a second opinion... anyone???

Hmm... How many amps are on the 12v rail of your current PSU?? And im thinking theres something wrong with the card personaly. Try using the card in a completly different system if possible....

Re: Solo PSU

BxSlipSk8718 said:
I put the vid card on my old PSU, and i got the same error when it booted... so, im pretty sure the vid card is busted, but i want a second opinion... anyone???

No your card needs power. Did you make sure you have the 4 pin molex plugged into the video card.

Upon googling your PSU, first site "It lacks power on the 12 volt rail"

Guess what components almost solely use the 12 volt rail? Graphics card, processor, hard drives, CD / DVD drives.

yeah, it could be a 800w PSU, but if they didn't put much of that wattage towards the +12v rail then your computer will still be underpowered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom