video card issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

juno_reactor

Baseband Member
I have a friend who seems bent convinced that one could overclock a video card using downloaded software. I assured him that it isn't that simple but he's relentless and justifies his argument by making his video card heat sync laouder. Also, he claims that one could defragment RAM and I was just wondering if this possible because as far as I know, RAM resets itself as soon as the computer is turned on.

personal question- Is a video card easier to overclock than a CPU?

yes you can download a program called atitool and that will help you over clock. also there is rivatune, and one other one. (can't remember the name) and there is also a way to "maximize" your ram with a program called ramfree. I'm not entirely sure if it "defrags" but it does free up the ram useage.

It depnds on what program you use for the video OC, but it can be easier... but it can be harder as well... (at least for me)

with overclocking you need the motherboard for it. overclocking should always always be done in the bios with a motherboard made for overclocking.

for your personal question, if you have a motherboard that is ment for overclocking, such as an MSI or DFI then overclocking the CPU and Video, and even Memory is just a push of the button in the bios. so its all the same.

Defraging ram is pretty pointless, it can in a sense be done but its not really done the same way as defraging a hard drive and you are better off rebooting.

To be honest, the difficulties of overclocking a CPU is the same as overclocking a video card. You just increase the frequency. The challenge is getting a high and stable overclock. When overclocking a CPU, there are a lot more things to take into account such as ram, ram speed, timmings, voltage etc... Most graphics overclocking is done by simply raising the frequency with a program (riva tuner, coolbits, ATI tool etc..). Some people however actually physically modify their video card to run more voltage through it to run at even a higher speed then obtained at stock voltage and more stable. To answer your question bluntly, for a noob a video card is easier to overclock, just slide the slider, test and keep going up until it doesn't pass and then you've found your max overclock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom