video capture problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadpolefoder

Solid State Member
hey, i just bought a tv capture card for my pc. its working fine, but when I try to record video, i always seem to lose a considerable amount of frames per second. wat are the best choices for such a slow computer (pentium ii 333 mhz) for:

-format (mpeg1, avi, divx, etc.)
-color space / compression (RGB 555, YUY2, UVYW, etc.)

i dont care about the space it requires (new 160 gb external drive), i just wanna get the best quality/fps i can

Kind of in the wrong section. I'm not sure if your computer will be able to even handle that type of recording.

tadpolefoder said:
uncompressed meaning avi...?.... or would divx be better?

Uncompressed recording will create huge files, but the advantage is it won't use up all your CPU cycles, it just uses the HD a lot to write the uncompressed video data. This way it shouldn't skip frames anymore.
Uncompressed video can be saved as AVI or other file formats (don't know exactly). Divx is a codec, so if you select Divx it will compress the video, so you could loose frames. The best thing to do is try different settings (uncompressed if available or DivX or Xvid or MPEG, etc) and see if one of them results in smooth video recording.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom